C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:00 AM
john V. zemba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember

I recently bought the aluminum locators for the cross member but got very vague instructions. Do I grind the tabs off the old cushions so the plate fits flush or leave alone thus creating a gap for dirt to accumulate. if this is the case would I do well to put some rtv around them. also the pictures in the books show 4 nuts and I only received 2 am I missing something here?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember (john V. zemba)

Jeez....years ago when I bought mine they only included two nuts too. They said they would mail me some. You would think they would have that handled huh?

Mine is a little extreme, but I did mine with body off and drilled through top cover to install lock nuts on either side of captured nut in frame. In your case, I'd use a lock nut to run it up against the captured nut from the bottom, and then get two more nuts for the plates. Maybe some nylon locking insert types would look nice?

Leave the tabs on the bushings and just tighten it down. It will work fine. I doubt the dirt issue will cause any problems.

JIM
Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 AM
john V. zemba
Instructor

Default Re: question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember (427Hotrod)

thanks , that helps me a great deal, I hate to put something together and then question it later with a " what if " or a "should I"
Old 08-05-2003, 12:00 PM
john V. zemba
Instructor

Default Re: question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember (john V. zemba)

mine is off the frame being that I am changing rear end, spring, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember

Quick Reply: question on installation of aluminum locator plates on crossmember