C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Fan High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:29 AM
71VETTE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Fan High Speed

I am having problems with getting my fan to go into high speed on a 78 Vette. I replaced it but when I put it on th highest postion it does not blow at all. The fan turns on in the first three positions but when placed in the 4th it shuts down. Any suggestions?

Al :)
Old 08-05-2003, 06:53 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Problem with Fan High Speed (71VETTE)

Yes, due to the high current requirements of the blower motor in high speed, GM routed the high speed power through a dedicated relay located on the evaporator box, right above the headers, where it gets baked out pretty good, OR the hi speed blower fuse, is located near the driver's fender linder near the horn relay/power take off point...typically in a white fuse clip....
corrosion may be making the fuse get hot by now, and so needs cleaned up at a minimum, better off replacing it really....I used a spade lug modern holder and fuse...with weather cap....the relay wiring/plug maybe also corroded, make sure the relay actually closes, later sharks may have a bad controll console also....but doubtful in probability....

GENE
Old 08-05-2003, 09:53 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a corroded connector on the relay hi-speed fan wire. Easy fix. Get a genuine GM Shop Manual for your car if you can. It covers the electrical system fairly well.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like they said. Mine had a hi-blower relay burn up, then a bad connection at the relay plug a week later. Works great now. Funny, the relay for a '69 vette was $48.- and the EXACT same relay for a '69 chevelle was only $30.-! :mad

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Fan High Speed

Quick Reply: Problem with Fan High Speed