C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-5 tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 AM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-5 tranny install

I picked up a T-5 and have a few questions about the install. I have looked on the archives and didn't see what I was looking for. First question is, is it possible to jack the car up high enough to remove the old THM-350 from below the car, or does the engine need to come out? Second, is it easier to install a bell housing from a Camaro with the hydraulic clutch instead of the old mechanical linkages? To me it sound like it might work, just wondering about clearence issues. Another question, will old Camaro clutch/brake pedals fit in the 79 Corvette? Also, I noticed tonight that the mounting area on the transmission is at an angle, not level with the rest of the tranny, how do I mount this to the crossmember? And finally, what type of tranny mount, and how did you make the bracket for the crossemember? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get prepared for this and not run into surprises. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: T-5 tranny install (79corvette)

I did a mock up with the F-body bellhousing and the bracket for the clutch piston hit the trans tunnel/fire wall. Plus you limit your clutch choose and a stock vette flywheel will not fit in the bellhousing. Norval said he got his hydraboost and a hyd clutch bellhousing out of 1 ton pick up, I hope to do the same. You'll have to have a bracket fab'd for the mount since it will be at a 15 deg angle when the trans is mounted to a conventional bellhousing. Lakewood makes a bellhousing for the f-body so it might work, that will also angle the shifter toward the driver's side which would make it easier to get the shifter to come out the stock shifter hole. I plan on doing this swap this winter myself.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:21 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: T-5 tranny install (Fevre)

So if I get the hydraulic clutch assembly out of a 1 ton pickup I should be able to use a stock flywheel and clutch? Is it easier/CHEAPER to use the hydraulic setup or the mechanical?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: T-5 tranny install (79corvette)

I got my hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch from a 85 one ton truck. It is machined perfectly to fit my 75. Even the holes were already drilled. The only modification was to cut off the rod since the truck rod is too long, rethread it and screw on a clevis.
You also need a remote resovior for the clutch fluid. You get a slave cylinder with the bellhousing and join it to the master with a brake line.
I did use a 1 ton bellhousing to clear a 14 inch 454 flywheel. I also wanted to run a 11 inch clutch. If you use a normal camaro bellhousing with matching slave cylinder it might fit. Mine was a little big so the slave cylinder hit the floor pan. A little cutting and refiberglassing in this area quickly gave me more room.
As for clutch pedals you have to get them from a corvette. The 79 or 80 had a smaller brake pedal, the 75 had equal pedals. You must get one or the other to work. Both will work fine but I prefer the smaller brake pedal out of the 80.
As for the transmission if you bolt it right in to the stock bellhousing it will work but lay over on a 18 degree angle. This is fine but the shifter comes out closer to you and the rear mount must be built on a matching angle.
I have done a few camaro's this way without a problem.
Absolutely the hardest part of this whole swap is the pedals. The rest is a piece of cake.
Don't hesitate to email me If I can help.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:35 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: T-5 tranny install (norvalwilhelm)

Just rereading some of your questions. The master cylinder for the clutch is just like a brake master in that it bolts to the firewall and has a rod through the firewall to the clutch pedal. A 85 one ton truck master worker perfectly with only a linkage change.
The bellhousing doesn't care which master you use, it is seperate but it has a slave cylinder on it's side to activate the fork. This comes from whatever donor car you use. A camaro for the smaller clutch and a 85 one ton for a 11 inch clutch and 14 inch flywheel.
This does hit the floor pan in one spot and needs clearnacing. Go for the smaller bellhousing and hopefully it clears fine.
To me the mechanical linkage is a pain for fitting headers and when the motor torques over it could bind mechanical linkage. Go hydraulic.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Pacha
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: T-5 tranny install (norvalwilhelm)

I can get a T5 for a few $$ and since I am tired with the old TH400 I will be trying the convertion, how is the shifter location on the T5 compared with original location???

Get notified of new replies

To T-5 tranny install

Quick Reply: T-5 tranny install