C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to connect vacuum advace on carb?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 PM
snb73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to connect vacuum advace on carb?

I have my engine running, but it doesn't seem right. After warm up it needs to be set at 1500 rpm's to idle. Any lower and the rpms slowly drop untill it stalls. I have the stock Q-Jet, where should I hook up my vacuum advance from the distributor? To what port on the carb?

Just a refresher, I do need to remove and lug the vacuum line from the distributor when setting timing at idle, is that right?

Thanks, Steve.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:40 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where to connect vacuum advace on carb? (snb73)

I can only answer the 1st question. My Vac. Adv. is ported into the back of my Q-Jet on the bottom...............Hope This Helps
Old 08-05-2003, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Where to connect vacuum advace on carb? (tnt76vette)

Yes you should plug the vacuum line from the distributor. Good Luck :)
Old 08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Where to connect vacuum advace on carb? (snb73)

I had quite a time getting mine right,and found a few things out during the process.With the lumpy cam I have the ONLY way I got a 650 rpm idle was with the distributer vacuum advance plugged into a full manifold port. Just pull the line and stick your finger over the end and at idle you'll feel the suction.When connected to the ported source,the car would idle irratically,then stall.The other thing I learned is that the power valve in the Q-Jet is not calibrated for a low vacuum signal. The way it works is the engine vacuum sucks against a spring,and pulls the valve shut. This will cause the idle circuit to lean down. By have a lumpy cam,there's not enough vacuum to pull the valve shut,and so the idle circuit richens the mix.We're talking tears in the eyes rich if your standing behind the car.

Anyway there's springs you can try to adjust the power valve if need be,but start with the manifold vacuum source.And yes,the timing must be set with the vacuum can disconnected,and the line plugged.Also idle speed must be as low as you can go before stalling,so the mechanical advance doesn't begin to advance. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Where to connect vacuum advace on carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to connect vacuum advace on carb?