C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mutso-bitchy tranny....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Mutso-bitchy tranny....

Well as some of you may remember, maybe not too..., I got a 400 buck '93 Talon for the step dautghter to drive...and the thing was needing an engine, which I finally figgered out and installed, along with 2--1/2 shafts, and a hub, and a set of brake shoes, and such well....the thing is FWD obviously...and so being a 1.8 non turbo car, the automatic I never expected any trouble out of...welll.....RONG!!!!

POS crap lasted just 2 months...wonderful....so my wife is carpooling, and none of them got any money for this crap...kids in college, working her way through, paying all the way....no help....gotta give credit and support where do....so I undertake to fix this pushbutton overdrive 3 speed auto...really 4 speed so....

a kit and converter later for 250 bux, and a week's worth of time on and off, and about a day figgering that POS out, reading the directions....and putting it all together again....

I had ONE cat-as s-trophic leak in the output shaft seal...so out it comes again, and resealed it....

took it for a spin....had that tranny down to bare assed case, and reassembled it, and the POS

WORKS!!!! perfectly....

SO at age 59 I am now in the middle of mastering automatic trannies....

and as I expected they NOT rocket science, really....

kGENE
Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mutso-bitchy tranny.... (mrvette)

Good work Gene... I would have come up and helped if you needed me..The biggest thing when working on an automatic is... CLEAN ... No rags.. Air blow parts dry. Don't skip any seals or rings on the assumption that they are ok... Pre soak all friction parts in trans fluid. I actually find manuals harder to do. Too many needle bearings and pressed parts. Here's a lttle trick for better shifts. On the clutch pack pistons.... leave out three or four equal spaced springs. These spring oppose apply pressure so it will shift a little firmer.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Mutso-bitchy tranny.... (bluevetteman)

Blue, ONE thing the tranny did do when I installed the engine was run/shift ok....but the fluid was dark, so I left it alone anyway....but it failed ....

I looked at that and thought about those many springs in that release of one of the clutch packs and thought about it, and just redid it all stock....
since it did shift ok....it still does....

this is funny in that the thing just didn't SEEM all that bad in the teardown...
few clutches showed evidence of being hot and all, but not so badly scoarched as my 700r4 was on those 3/4 pack I changed a year ago...

once again Mutso got the wiring connectors such as they are easy to mess up plugging them together, and I thought it had to be no good, but I decided to try it again, with the electronics hooked up correctly this time....seems to be just sending units, NOT shifting command solenoids...but yes it did make a goodly differance in the shifting of the thing.....

this is the very first time I have actually torn down an entire auto tranny, bought a rebuilding kit, and FIXET IT!!!!......allways had it done in the past....

but really, they aint' rocket science....just take your time, be VERY observant, use common sense, and do it....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Mutso-bitchy tranny....

Quick Reply: Mutso-bitchy tranny....