C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch to TPI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Neil350
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Switch to TPI?

I have a 1979 corvette. Does anybody have any insite about switching to a TPI setup. Is it worth it. Right now I have storked 385, with a RPM airgap intake, and Demon850 carb. I had a scoop on it with the cut out in the hood, but I sold it and went back to the stock hood. I cant seem to find any cleaner that gets enough air to fit under the hood. Will a TPI setup clear the stock hood? Is there any HP gain or loss? Anybody who has any comments about this feel free to post them. Even if you have information I havent ask about. Any thing about TPI in a C3. Thanks! :flag
Old 08-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Switch to TPI? (Neil350)

With your set up, I would go to the Holley FI system. It's easier to tune for the bigger cubs. No problem on clearance.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go w/ the TPI. Tuned Port Induction was designed for the 305ci Camaro in the early 80's. GM being being rushed didn't have time to design a new intake for the 350ci so they used the TPI. It is a great FI setup but the runners are so long it will run out of breath at 5,000rpms. The long runners provide gobs of torque but also the runners greatly reduces HP levels.
If you are wanting a cruiser and performance isn't #1 on you list by all means go for it. Then again if you are looking for peak performance I think you'll be disappointed. I built a 383 for my roommates's '86 C4 coupe. He ran out of money and went back with the TPI setup to atleast driver the car. It ran great up to 5K where it fell on it's face. He saved a little money and purchased a Lingenfelter Super Ram and 58mm TB, and it made a world of difference, he's now shifting at 6,200rpms.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:11 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out Ken at FIRST INJECTIONS. Good guy to deal with Large tube runners and also a 70mm THrottle body. It is a nice set-up. Prefferable over stock GM.. I amin the process of installing this. Custom for my car (1979) Ken will alsdo work with you to ge thte right system.... Mention my name as a referral when you talk to him so he knows what you are looking for. (Tim)
http://www.firstinjections.com/products.htm

NOTE: I don't have pics yet of mine. Will post when installation is complete

Get notified of new replies

To Switch to TPI?

Quick Reply: Switch to TPI?