C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:50 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default 'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!!

Everyone else have the same damn luck I do??? seems the parts bought today for nearly any car have the same type of problems, just not rebuilt right, or even brake pads wear out prematurely....even NEW parts are just not what they supposed to be, and this is all across the board...no matter what type of parts, balljoints...good stuff from MOOG, or cheaper from McQuay norris.....or rebuilt assy's from whoever, and even NEW stuff....
radiator hoses fail prematurely....thermostats stick and hang up for NO reason, just crap.....rubber in fuel line and evap emissions, and PCV valves get eaten up and harden, OR get soft and explode....in a year or less sometimes.....

And I notice it seems to not matter if it's rebuilt, new OR the source, NAPA is just as bad as AZ, just as bad as PepBoys....some are worse or maybe slightly better than GM......

GENE
Old 08-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Martin72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!! (mrvette)

Sounds like you had a rough weekend.....
Old 08-04-2003, 10:21 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree that the quality of replacement parts has taken a nose dive over the past few years. The problem is that while everyone wants quality, they only want to pay for junk. Junk sells, so junk is what the parts stores stock.
Wish I knew how to turn this trend around. If we hold out for quality parts we may find that they can't even be special ordered due to quanity pricing and the fact that the parts store doesn't expect to see very many people that want quality.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:24 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Maybe Florida is getting knock-off parts from Cuba? :)

I haven't had that problem over here. Some parts don't look like they will last as long as OEM parts, but most wear parts (belts, hoses, brake pads) have done fine. I replaced my belts and hoses 5 years ago and they are still fine.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: 'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!! (1979toy)

:iagree:
i tried to buy AC plugs and Motorcraft oil filters again at Wal-mart. They NO LONGER sell them. Now they have only the Low rated Frams, with inferior internal construction. I won't buy them :nonod:
But i did get 2 GE 1157 bulbs (made in Hong Kong) :rolleyes:
I have to agree that the quality of replacement parts has taken a nose dive over the past few years. The problem is that while everyone wants quality, they only want to pay for junk. Junk sells, so junk is what the parts stores stock.Wish I knew how to turn this trend around. If we hold out for quality parts we may find that they can't even be special ordered due to quanity pricing and the fact that the parts store doesn't expect to see very many people that want quality.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a similar run lately. Original parts go 150K, then the part I put on goes 5K! At least they're warranted for longer periods now...

Hans
Old 08-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree.. I bought a GM radiator hose that de-laminated and got a huge bubble... I year old. I bought two vacuum relays that lasted less than six months. Even Dealer parts are not what they shoud be.. Delphi (Delco) is not part of G/M anymore. :cuss :rant:

[Modified by bluevetteman, 4:54 PM 8/4/2003]
Old 08-04-2003, 05:03 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

My son just bought a New Hurst Comp+ shifter - sloppy1/8" play in the shifter mechinism worse then my 22 year old comp+ shifter. Sending it back to summit. The stock shifter had less play in it.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To 'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!!

Quick Reply: 'NEW' JUNK PARTS!!!!