C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:38 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold.

Im having a problem with my intake manifold not sealing. So Im thinking of getting a new one for two reasons. One to see if I can fix this problem with a new intake, and two simply because Im thinking of moving to the single plane.

I plugged my numbers into desktop dyno - with a dual plane Im getting a peak hp of 381 at 5500 rpms. My peak torque is 395 at 4500 rpm. With a single plane peak would be 407 hp at 6000 rpm, and peak torque at 407 at 4500 holding true through 5000. Under 3000 rpm the single plane shows about 5-8 hp less then the dual plane...but once it hits 3000 rpms the single is quite a bit higher.

Now I know that they say single planes arent as good for the street...but honestly the cam I have has a high power band for the street too. The cam's power doesnt really kick in untill around 3000 anyways, and I have a 2400 stall in a 700r4 and 3.55's out back, so I think with that combo I will get going good anyways. Even though I would have rather had a 2800 or 3000 stall...

What do you guys think? Single plane or dual? Also...If I do go with a single plane....how is the torker II manifold? The reason I chose that over like a victor jr. is because Im afraid the victor jr is a little too high of a power band, they say around 3500-8000 where as the torker is right where I need at 2500-6500. Give me your input guys Thanks. :D

[Modified by joshs78sleeper, 6:41 PM 8/3/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:00 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold. (joshs78sleeper)

I have an original Torquer, it all depends on where you want your tq to come on at, ie would you rather be tearing up the streets or strip. I found that with my 750 Holley mech dp the power really came on after 4000 rpm and continued past 7000 (383 stroker) with a new Edel Performer 750 mech the tq is coming on much lower but I at the expence of higher free revving rpms. It is a tough call, and I'm not sure that DD will really help you out much with that as your seat of pants will be what puts the smile on your face.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:40 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold. (gdh)

The question to ask yourself is how do you intend to drive the car MOST of the time.As you know the whole package must be tuned to run together.By running a 236 degree cam you've shifted the torque curve upward slightly already.Installing a single plane will shift the curve even higher.Say goodbye to gas mileage due to poor carb signaling,and lowend throttle response as well.

I once had a 327 that I built with an RPM intake and the Chevy 151 hydraulic cam.Idled smooth,and would pull to 6000 rpms,but I couldn't spin a tire if I tried.For the engine size,weight of the car and gears,the combo couldn't do it.
But overall performance was breathtaking.The throttle response was crisp,and believe it or not I got 22 mpg with it.

I wrestled with the same question myself,and even with the 406,chose the RPM intake over the Vic Jr.At 2500 I may make more torque than most 350's at peak,and by 4500,I'm close to 500lbs.This makes for super fun launches,and still I can top 6500rpms.I realize I left a few horses out to pasture,but for overall street performance I know I did the right thing. :yesnod:
Old 08-04-2003, 06:48 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

For your 700R4 automatic tranny, I would go for the RPM manifold. The reason for the RPM choice is that automatics have wider gear separation than sticks so your rpms drop further which the longer runners of the RPM will help to build abit more torque for pulling to your next gear.

If you were running a stick, then I would go with the Torker II becasue it spends more time at higher RPMs and you can afford to give up some torque ;) .

If your currently driving your car, keep an eye on where your rpms are most of the time your driving.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 AM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold. (SmokedTires)

I'm running a BBC vert w/4sp, and have more torque then my tires know what to do with... anybody with 454+ motors running the Torker II. Will it fit under a stock BB vette hood? I know the RPM won't.. I'd need to go with a raised L88 style (another $600 not including paint!!).
Old 08-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold. (69Rat)

I'm running a BBC vert w/4sp, and have more torque then my tires know what to do with... anybody with 454+ motors running the Torker II. Will it fit under a stock BB vette hood? I know the RPM won't.. I'd need to go with a raised L88 style (another $600 not including paint!!).
I have a Torker II and a stock cowl induction hood.

Josh, if you want the Torker II, get it!

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-04-2003, 08:47 AM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

In the comparsions found in magazines, the RPM outperforms both the Performer and the Victor Jr between 2500-5000 RPM. The Performer RPM manifold is the perfect "middle ground".
Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold. (69stingray)

In the comparsions found in magazines, the RPM outperforms both the Performer and the Victor Jr between 2500-5000 RPM. The Performer RPM manifold is the perfect "middle ground".
:iagree:

CHP says:

For an intake manifold, you're in an either/or situation. Take another look at the rpm range. Even though it's from 1,500-6,500 rpm, try to identify where in that spread you'd like the most power. If it's generally below 5,500, select a two-plane. But if it's from 4,000-7,000, you should probably bolt on a single-plane.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/4418/

Get notified of new replies

To Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torker II vs. Performer RPM Manifold.