C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltmeter Readings

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Boog
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Voltmeter Readings

Just installed a voltmeter in my '74, not sure what readings I should get, but here is what I do get - idle, in gear or WOT 14.5V, turned off (Acc) 11V. Does this seem correct? I was thinking it should be at 13V when running and 12V not running. :confused:
Old 08-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Voltmeter Readings (Boog)

Sounds like the running voltages are as they should be. I would think that the off voltage would be a little above 12 volts. You must have some kind of draw on the battery. Did you have the radio or interior lights on while checking the voltage? This may have shown the low voltage in the ACC position.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Boog
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Voltmeter Readings (Boog)

No, I had no known load, but I have had some draining problems since I bought it this spring. After getting it home it would discharge completely in about 20 minutes so I disconnected the battery while it was running and sure enough it died, so while replacing the altenatorI noticed the previous owner had joined both field wires together, not sure why or if it was okay but I seperated them and it seems to hold it's charge now for about 12 hours (I have a diconnect switch), so yeah there is some kind of drain but to find it on a Corvette seems to be a bit of a challenge, tried the emptying the fusebox thing etc. can't easily find it. Anyway if the running voltage seems correct then I will settle for that for now, thanks.
:nopity

Get notified of new replies

To Voltmeter Readings

Quick Reply: Voltmeter Readings