C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:41 PM
macx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI?

Anybody had experience either way,
or recommendation based on experience?
This will be a torque biased 383 with AFR 190 heads and
about 224/230/500 hydr roller cam, etc.
Trying to educate myself on LT1's - it looks like a chip can
be burned for up to 93 if using stock harness, but have to flash
the PROM for 94 & 95? (plus getting bigger mass air, too)
Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:52 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI? (macx)

You CAN use a chip to get close to the correct A:F ratio and other settings, but many times they're not set exactly right and companies rely on the engine's knock sensor to compensate for errors. I would go with Calmap from Accel DFI or Fast. I went with Calmap but I've heard Fast has better customer support. My engine cranked on the second turn of the key and ran almost perfectly after I corrected mistakes I'd made when wiring. I ran it for about six months tuning it myself. After awhile I took it to an EMIC (Accel mechanic) who for about $150 spent a couple hours on the dyno and picked up 20 HP and 80 ft. lb. of torque without twising a wrench. I don't think you can get the most out of your EFI engine without going to a programmable system.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:48 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI? (macx)

If you plan on selling your car - ever - install as much of a GM system as you can. Otherwise the next owner will have to know as much about the EFI as you or they will not be able to work on it. this will severely limit your possible potential future buyers.

Get notified of new replies

To Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI?

Quick Reply: Modified 383 LT1 conversion - stock harness & efi or aftermarket like DFI?