C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan Setup????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:31 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Electric Fan Setup????

I am currently running a Fastburn 385 in my 4-speed 69 convertible. For cooling I have a BeCool radiater and a dual spal fan setup.

I have something wired wrong as the fans are not shutting off and are draining the battery (it’s hard to look cool when you need a jump start!).

I would like the fans to come on a certain water temp, but then run for about five minutes after the engine is shut down.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:41 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup???? (EricU)

Come on someone must know somethhing about these fans!

Thanks,

Eric.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:51 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I don't know much about the Spals, but my Flex-a-Lites came with an adjustable thermostat and A/C relay. Was there anything included with your fans to sense temp and adjust for it ? Maybe it's an option with the Spals :confused:
Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup???? (SmokedTires)

I think DeWitts have the "kit" for wiring with the relay and temp probe. If not, go to a Pep Boys and get a Hayden temp sensor setup for $35. Includes the harness, relay and temp probe. Bought one and it works fine.

On yours, make sure the wire for the fan turnon is not directly to battery or it will not shut off. There has to be wire from a ignition switched tap to get shut down when you turn the car off.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I don't know how your setup is wired, but on my setup that I got from DeWitt's, there is an orange wire that is supposed to be put to a switched 12V source. If it is hooked to a constant (unswitched) 12v it will run the fans untill the temperature drops below the cut off point of the thermo-sensor. If the sensor is located in the head or intake manifold it could take quite a while for the temp to drop below the cutoff point, probably long enough to drain your battery.
If you want the fans to run for 5 minutes or so, after you shut the engine off, then you'll have to rig up some sort of timer circuit to kill power to the relay.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup???? (Smokehouse69)

I would call DeWitts and talk to them about the wiring and timer. You need switched line (orange?). As far as hooking to a sensor, yes it will run for a long time after shutdown. The temp in the block goes to over 220 when you shut down and will take a long time to drop. Remeber there is not real flow at this point so all have is cooling the radiator and the water changing temp with the block.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:58 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup????

Thanks guys,

I do have the temp switch and the relay, sounds like I did not wire it to a switched side of the ignition.

Does anyone know of a timer style relay that I could use to keep the fans running for a short time after the ignition is turned off?

Thanks,

Eric.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

check out the thread below, there is a lot of fan info. As far as running for five minutes after key off, that would take a timer. I don't know why you want to do that because nothing is flowing through the radiator. You're not going to cool the engine, just the fluid in the rad. There is a wire in the spal harness that can be connected to the ignition or battery depending on how you want the system to operate. Sounds like yours is running to the battery. Find an ignition source and run it there, then the fans will shut off right away, the engine will cool down shortly after. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=617997
Old 08-04-2003, 07:11 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup???? (Tom DeWitt)

Thats actually an interesting idea. I wonder why a lot of new cars do that ?(electric fans stay on after the ignition was turned off)

Old 08-04-2003, 09:47 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fan Setup???? (BigBadOrange)

Thats actually an interesting idea. I wonder why a lot of new cars do that ?(electric fans stay on after the ignition was turned off)
I think the idea is to evacuate hot air out of the engine compartment to make wiring and hoses live longer as well as avoid a temp spike if the engine is restarted a few minutes after it was shut off.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fan Setup????

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Setup????