C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Question: '74 Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 12:36 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Question: '74 Alarm

In "correcting" the wiring on my '74 i'm concerned about the alarm. I don't know how it works. I've never used it so i figure it's been disabled and so i might accidently re-enable it.

What does it do and how does it work?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Electrical Question: '74 Alarm (tzavaleta)

I don't know if it like my 69's but on the 69 it is pretty simple. There is a relay and a blinker/flasher in the bottom of the passengerside storage bin. If the key on the fender (or rear of car depending on year model) is armed and a door, t-top or the hood is opened or removed, the circuit is completed to the flasher and it starts opening and closing the relay which sounds the horn under the left rear fender well of the car. It is annoying and can only be turned off with the key.
I don't have a circuit diagram handy, but they are in the back of most Corvette replair guides.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:22 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Electrical Question: '74 Alarm (Smokehouse69)

That's it. You could have a bad switch, relay, flasher, or horn. Or a break in the wiring.

Mine - I've got continuity everywhere except the switch - that's the next thing for me to check (when I get back to it).

Let us know how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Question: '74 Alarm

Quick Reply: Electrical Question: '74 Alarm