C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Stearing Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Schwee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Stearing Pump?

I replaced my PS piston a year ago and stopped all the leaks and everything was great. Lately, I have little or no power assist at idle, but works fine at normal driving speeds. Seems to me like I need a new pump, although I've never had one fail before. A friend says that there's a little valve in the pump that might need cleaned or adjusted.
Anybody know about this?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Stearing Pump? (Schwee)

If you are stopped and try a steer with the car's engine idling, do you have power assist? If you rev the engine up with the car stopped do you regain your power assist?

There is a small plunger inside the pump that is located just behind the pump outlet fitting. You will need to unscrew the power steering pressure hose, then unscrew the fitting from the pump.

You should then be able to take a small rod and push on the plunger. There is a spring behind the plunger and you should be able to easily move the plunger against the spring. It should freely move back and forth.

If it sticks, it could be the cause of your lack of assist. Pull it out of the pump and inspect it for signs of varnish build up, or any small pieces of dirt that might hang it up inside the pump. See if you can get it to move freely inside the pump.

Otherwise, your problem is probably the rotating group (plates, ring, vanes, rotor, etc) inside the pump and you might just as well replace it.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Schwee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Stearing Pump? (Jim Shea)

Thanks, Jim!
I'll try it this weekend if the temp stays below 100.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Power Stearing Pump?

Quick Reply: Power Stearing Pump?