C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting the Vette--Is this difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Sixty9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the Vette--Is this difficult?

Hey everyone! I have all the equipment--HVLP gun, air tools,etc... Just wondering if this is an art that takes years of practice or could I attempt it? I would obviously practice on other items first--maybe do some reading on painting vettes. This may all sound stupid thinking of this, but I am usually good at trying things like this--never painted w/air tools though! So, those of you that paint--what do you think? Also, does the paint have to be removed first, there is some chips on the hood and body that flaked off--like not prepped right and kinda thick and some small paint bubbling in a few spots. :cheers:
Old 08-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Painting the Vette--Is this difficult? (Sixty9)

You are in good company! This place is loaded with guys that know how to paint and I'm not one of them. :jester I can give you the perspective from the complete novice. I have painted one car to date (my vette). It came out very well and I get lots of compliments. My advice is read, read some more, get lots of advice, then have at it. Its a lot of work and will take some time but the results can be very satisfying. I am sure others will chime in with good advice. I really liked Lar's primer :lol: (bad pun) on the subject at corvettefaq.com.

Dane
Old 08-03-2003, 06:56 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my first whole car -my '72 Blazer see pics here http://briefcase.yahoo.com/rrenthome
This was my first paint job, previous I had sprayed primer, and cut in paint, but never a complete exterior.

It came out okay and it gets a lot of attention -- but it is far from perfect. I painted it in my driveway and didn't color sand it. By the time I sprayed the paint - I had had about as much fun as a human should be allowed just sanding and prepping.

I read something saying if you take it on as a labor of love and don't' mind putting in the hours and hours go for it --- short of that get it ready and let a pro spray the finish.

I'm not sure which I will do when I get the "nothing fancy"'77 painted -- If I do paint it I will have read "hot to paint Vettes' books and will have practiced practiced practiced.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Painting the Vette--Is this difficult? (rrent)

I have done a few at home. First you must understand that many of the modern two part paints are extremely toxic. (they can kill you) Knowing that... you must have a repirator designed for the material you are using and an ventilated area to spray in. You can make a garage into a good spray area with several box fans as long as you haveMORE filtered intake area than exaust so you don't pull dirt from every crack and crevice This is very imprtant. Light is also an essential item easily dealt with. Many people do their own paint work with excellent results. Here is what a lot of people around here do... They sign up for a auto painting course at the local Vo-tech school. You get professional instruction, discounts on material, a good spray booth and a lot of help.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:35 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

i would say, painting a vette would really be considered an art. fiberglass bodies with the seams and big rounded lines of the fenders takes a special skill and knowledge when it comes to sanding a vette properly. of course, i'm like you and i say buy a book, and go for it.

[Modified by REDSHARKONBOYDS, 11:36 AM 8/3/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 04:50 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Re: Painting the Vette--Is this difficult? (REDSHARKONBOYDS)

Have painted a few complete paint jobs plus repaint panels as needed.
Am by no means an expert, but you learn by doing. Also since it is your
car, you can take the time to do the job right. If you are
not satisfied with a panel you can just refinish it. There are some good
books available as well as video's. Here are some web sites with lots
of information including a paint forum:
http://pub26.ezboard.com/fpaintucationfrm1
http://www.autobody101.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Painting the Vette--Is this difficult?

Quick Reply: Painting the Vette--Is this difficult?