C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:23 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot?

I put some in last week because I saw a coolant stain on part of the radiator. The stain wasn't wet, but even Stewart Components recommeds the stuff. I figured it would be extra insurance.
Well, ever since the coolant temps have been a little hot, but today I had it out on the highway, taching out at 3500+rpm in 95 degree heat. The needle was on the edge of the red:eek:

Once we stopped at a rondevous point, the coolant recovery tank was boiling over (just undid my DUBBA BUBBA aftermarket tank) it ran a little cooler, maybe around 235-240.

If there was ever a candidate motor blowing up, it would have been mine today. OK, so I'm secretly hoping for an excuse to buy an AR motor, but I couldn't beleive how hot the car was running on our cruise with other South FL Vette owners.

Talk about fixing it until it's broke!!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (isosceles)

I used similar stuff from wynn's in my grocery getter and it tends to run a bit hot on the highway doing 100 mph, it's about 20 degrees hotter than normal under in town conditions

Marck
Old 08-02-2003, 10:58 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the gunk that plugs the leak also clogs your radiator.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:08 PM
IWAVE2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (flynhi)

I put some Bars Leak in a brand new motor to stop a leaky freeze plug. It fixed the leak beautifully and did not affect the temp of the engine when running. The system was new and clean though.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:39 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

I used bars leak once in my OLD daily driver. It turned to gel, and I ended up having to get a cooling system flush, and a new rad. I sold the car soon after with a blown head gasket. :smash:

I would flush your cooling system and repair your leak soon.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:20 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (rexx78)

I dont think lars would appreciate you talking about his nose in those terms!!! ..........oh!..... never mind! :lol: MJ
Old 08-03-2003, 03:31 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (MNJack)

I used the Bars bead leak fixer and it seemed to work good., no more smoke from right tailpipe.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:33 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

UPDATE:

Well, I'm not completely convinced the Bars Leak is what caused the hot temps. I flushed the system until nothing but clear water was coming out, block and rad. I used Stewart Components recommedation of water and water pump lube (yes I used distilled). With the A/C on, I drove around in 2nd around 3500-4000 rpm and the temp climbed up to 230. I don't know if it would have gone higher. I don't think runing a little faster in 3rd at the same RPM would have made a difference(foam seals are all there).

I'm wondering if my new compressor is causing the A/C to throw a lot more heat from the condensor. The INSIDE of the car is much, much cooler. I know the old compressor was about 100 PSI low on the high side. I'm thinking it might be time for an auxilary fan out in front of the condensor. This FL heat is just too much on the system I think. :eek:
Old 08-04-2003, 11:27 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for a new radiator or at least have your original recored! That Bars Leak can clog the tubes as well as the leak. I've heard more bad stories come from that stuff than good. It's only a band-aid for the CORRECT fix. Your radiator was sized to work with your A/C compressor originally. Flushing until the water runs clear doesn't really prove much because you could have every tube in the radiator blocked except for a couple and the water would still run clear. If you just had your A/C fixed, you may just be noticing a problem that's been there for a while because the A/C is making a bad situation worse. If your radiator is the original or has been in service a long time its probably time for a new one.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:26 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (LemansBlue68)

Time for a new radiator or at least have your original recored! That Bars Leak can clog the tubes as well as the leak. I've heard more bad stories come from that stuff than good. It's only a band-aid for the CORRECT fix.
:iagree:
I've had it settle in the bottom of my radiator and clog it until the ambient temperature came up. I would only use it in an emergency, then fix the radiator correctly as soon as possible.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot? (The_Dude)

after 35 yrs of jacking around with cars, #1 rule of thumb anything you pour in a car(outside of the normal stuff) is only a short term fix, and will cause trouble in the long run. my experiences with any kind of radiator stop leak usually ends up with a themostat stuck in the open position. BTW, you can make your stop leak with black pepper, oatmeal flakes or finely shredded paper. Once i used a oil stop leak product because the rear seal on my 78 chevy van, 305 engine was leaking, i poured the stuff, supposed to "re-juvenate" the seals. it did all right after about 2000 miles the seal just totally disintegrated and oil everywhere!!

Get notified of new replies

To Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot?

Quick Reply: Has Bars Leak made anyone else's car run hot?