C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My lights do WHAT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My lights do WHAT???

When I bought my 1978 a year ago, I knew that it would take some time before I tracked down most of its 'idiosyncracies'. I've gone through the same thing with other older cars (finding out what switch needs to be tweeked 'just so' and just how finicky the door can be to open for some people, etc.), but I have usually just found stuff one might expect. For instance, sometimes one has to fidget with the automatic gearshift before the back-up light switch will close, or one has to fiddle a bit with the ignition key before the car will start. Well, last night I found a NEW one that surprised the heck out of me! :eek:

I was out in Council Bluffs, IA, celebrating my friend's birthday, and after the party was over I went out to start the car. By this time, it was pretty dark, and my friend lives off the beaten path where there are few, if any, outside lights. I had just started the car when I noticed a strange glow lighting up the area in front of the car (and NO, I did NOT have any of the lights turned on yet! :rolleyes: ) The first thing I did was check the headlight switch to see if I had left it halfway out in the parking light position. The switch was all the way in, but the light was still there. I went around the car and noticed that ALL the running lights were on for some reason.

Now I have had the car for a year, and ever since I have owned it, I have noticed that the dash lights are on all the time whether the headlights are on or not (as long as the car is running, that is). Also, the dash lights never responded to the dimmer in the headlight switch. This has never really bothered me, as the dash lights were lit well enough to be easily read. However, I tried something on a hunch and began to turn the headlight switch as if to dim/brighten the dash lights.

The dash lights stayed bright, but the RUNNING lights now dimmed and brightened! :confused: The parking lights work whether or not I have them dimmed if I have the switch pulled out, but it seems that I can now turn my running lamps into 'disco lights' just by turning the switch in the daytime! Now all I need is a 'rave' to go to! :hat :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has little 'quirks' with their cars they would like to share? Also, if anyone thinks that this crossed-wire situation with my 1978 is dangerous, please give me a heads up. I don't see any wild fluctuations in the electrical system, but ya never know!

Old 08-02-2003, 09:50 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My lights do WHAT??? (Trevelisek)

wow! that sounds like some wires are plugged in wrong. wierd stuff? Well I recurved my distributor and made my car slower. I don't know if my dist was stock to begin with so that's my fault, not the car.
Stuff on my car either seems to work or it's broke, with no in between unless I temporarily pull a Bubba. :D
Old 08-03-2003, 01:52 AM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My lights do WHAT??? (Trevelisek)

Following is a pic of my speedo........

Seriously......the more I "fix" my car, the more weird stuff happens.........

Get notified of new replies

To My lights do WHAT???

Quick Reply: My lights do WHAT???