C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks to those who came by today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Thanks to those who came by today...

It was nice finally meeting some of the members of the forum although it was definitely hotter than hell-o. Wayne(Blue68), Brett(White73), Travis(tshort) & a neighbor who loves cars all confirmed that I don't have the starter problems figured out. Three different new eyes/hands got under the '74 and confirmed that there's definitely something baffling about it. The starter engages the flex plate, but won't release if you have not followed my problems. I've shimmed it numerous different ways by the way. We tested the starter out of the car and the high-torque mini starter appears to function with no problems. We did come up with a few things to look at though.

Wayne is going to see if he can pull his mini-starter, but a question came up why the stock starter has 9 teeth on the bendix gear and this PMG mini-starter has 11. I don't know if these hi-torque mini-starters are designed with a different tooth pattern to allow that or maybe the wrong starter was in the box in the first place. Does anyone have a new mini-starter lying around that they can count the teeth on the gear? It would be appreciated if anyone can pipe in.

And I got to get a ride in tshort's '69 vette. The 383 definitely is a bit wild and it took nothing to chirp the tires. A few bugs to work out on the new engine, but a super nice looking vette that will *fly*.

Again... thanks to everyone.

Quick Reply: Thanks to those who came by today...