C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever install P/B on a non-P/B C3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:58 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Anyone ever install P/B on a non-P/B C3?

I think I have all the parts required to install power brakes on my non-P/B '70.

Anyone ever perform this upgrade? Any tips, shortcuts, dangers, etc?

Would removing the dash pad or speedo cluster make the job of installing the power booster mounting nuts any easier?

How did you get the non-P/B master cylinder mounting studs out of the firewall? Just bang them out with a persuader? Any heat applied?

Was the install worth it? Would you do it again with what you know now?
Old 08-02-2003, 07:23 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever install P/B on a non-P/B C3? (ettev)

I had no power brakes in my 75 and I went to hydraboost. The biggest pain was getting at the nuts. I removed the old booster then used the 4 studs that came with the hydraboost as studs and put them in the wirewall. I don't remember even having to drill the holes any larger. I just put them in from the inside and used a larger nut , washer , then the proper nut and pulled them tightly into the fire wall. Now I have 4 studs sticking out of the firewall makeing future brake removals easy.
It was definitely worth changing to power assist and I recommend the hydraboost over the vacuum unit because of it's superior power and compact size. I ended up even using the stock master cylinder which bolted right up the the new hydraboost.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever install P/B on a non-P/B C3?