C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves.....

I almost always wear my "Mechanix" gloves when I work on my vette. Today, I was working on the lawnmower changing the blades. While tightening up the bolt on the left hand side blade, my hand slipped off the wrench and hit the side of the mower deck very hard, splitting my hand open down to the muscle tissue and about 1 1/2" long :cuss :mad . Just seconds before I was thinking "I should have my gloves on". 3 hours in the ER and 7 stitches later, I good to go. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and will be wearing them now no matter what I'm working on :smash:

[Modified by Ryan77, 5:46 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-02-2003, 05:49 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (Ryan77)

what kind of gloves are they? Good luck, I know very well what stitches are like, seems like half my body has been sewed up at one time or another!.......LT
Old 08-02-2003, 06:09 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (ltinnell)

I've looked at them, but how do they handle grease? I usually wear latex gloves, but they don't stop cuts and rip easily. They are cheap though, and I can take em off and toss them (no cleaning)
Old 08-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (goofygrin)

They're $20 at Autozone, and they are machine washable, mine have taken a beating and have never ripped, they hold up very well :cheers:
Old 08-02-2003, 08:21 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (Ryan77)

After ripping up my hands for years I finally bought a pair when I cut the crap out of my hands trying to install the ignition shielding.
They seem to be comfortable and offer a great deal of protection. I won't work without them now. They are well worth the purchase price.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

I`m using my Kamasa gloves all the time when i working on the vette...They are great :cheers: :smash:
Old 08-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Yup
They are comfy and are washable if dirty.
The company i work for supplies them to us free of charge.
It's a safety thing.
It's a one for one replacement if they get too messed up. :cheers:
Old 08-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (goofygrin)

I usually wear latex gloves
me too!

I buy a box of 100 from Harbor Freight (Large size).

I've tried the mechanics gloves and agree they do protect you better, but they weren't as good at conducting the sense of touch (feeling) that the latex gloves give.

and then maybe I'm just too old to change :)
Old 08-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

Hmmm....I may have to look into buying some of these Mechanix gloves...

I too use the rubber gloves sometimes when I am working on the car, but I usually use them if I am going to be working around something electrical and I don't want to disconnect the electrical system (horn button assemblies, etc.)
Old 08-02-2003, 09:10 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I LOVE mine! I don't use them while working on my carb, because I think I'd drop the really small parts, but for most repairs I wear mine. I saturated mine in ATF while installing my shift kit and can't quite seem to get them completely clean. I'm afraid to put them in the washer for fear of ruining the machine :eek:
Old 08-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (isosceles)

I LOVE mine! I don't use them while working on my carb, because I think I'd drop the really small parts, but for most repairs I wear mine. I saturated mine in ATF while installing my shift kit and can't quite seem to get them completely clean. I'm afraid to put them in the washer for fear of ruining the machine :eek:
Just wash your hands while wearing them, it sounds stupid but it works better. I just washed them with some gojo.

I always wear mine now, except when I need more dexterity I take them off.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:11 PM
WeasleVette454
Racer

Yeah.....but the scar will look much more cool than having soft smooth wussie boy hands!! :yesnod: Hope you heal quickly.
Weasle :cool:
Old 08-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wear some eye protection too!!

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-03-2003, 10:49 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (Brettmc)

You mean "Gurlie He-Man Sissy Boy Hands" muhahaha! :lolg:
Old 08-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Indy Year 25
Racer

I don't know if they have the same add everywhere, but I noticed this morning Sears has their Craftsmen mechanics gloves, red or black, half price $9.99. (You can check the weekly add by zip code on their web site.)

To bad I turned my hands red (blood) and black (grease) yesterday.

Based on the advise of posts above, I am heading over there to get a pair now.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:06 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (Indy Year 25)

They are excellent. I love these gloves so much! Every once in a while they get too dirty and I just take them to the community washer in my apartment complex. I washed them in my own washer once after replacing the engine, and it took a while to scrape the grease of the top of the washer...where no water goes. But I just ran it with hot water and there was no grease where the water spins...it was perfectly clean...and so were the gloves.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Best $20 ever spent. I use my anytime gloves are needed except caulking/painting. They clean well in washer/dryer too!

Get notified of new replies

To I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves.....

Old 08-03-2003, 04:23 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

OWN a pair? Yep.
Actually USE 'em? Nope.

:skep:
Old 08-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Jerpitcher
Advanced

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (FASGLAS)

I've kicked the idea around, but I don't know, if I don't have any cuts, I have no stories to tell :D
Old 08-04-2003, 02:18 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves..... (FASGLAS)

OWN a pair? Yep.
Actually USE 'em? Nope.

:skep:
I do when I am around the hot parts. Other than that, nope -- actually too tight for my hands.

Quick Reply: I think everyone should own a pair of "Mechanix" gloves.....