C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning before starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:41 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tuning before starting

I started my vette for the first time since October. Since then, I have replaced the plugs, wires, coil, and weights and springs on the distributor, and had the Q-jet modified.

It started with a huge backfire, and after a search of archived topics, I found the distributor was 180 degrees out. Now it starts, but runs really rough with heavy black smoke, it won't even idle.

I have to drive it out of the garage yet, so I don't asphixiate myself, and hopefully I can let it run until it warms up.

The books I have say it has to warm up to operating temperature before I can set the timing or the carb. Is there anything I can do to get it close enough so it will idle, or at least run better?

Old 08-02-2003, 04:05 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Tuning before starting (rexx78)

Timing doesn't matter if the engines hot or cold. I set mine cold to avoid burning my grubby mitts.The black smoke is carb related,so whatever MODIFIED means,you may need to unmodify.

If you have an 8" balancer strike a mark 2 1/2" clockwise from the stock balancer timing mark.Turn the idle speed up to 3500 rpms and set the new timing mark to read 0 degrees on the stock timing tab.That should get the timing in the ballpark within a degree or two.

Quick Reply: Tuning before starting