C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Luv2Kruz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help on Paint Problem

I had my car painted a little over two years ago. It's a base/clearcoat finish. At the time, I had to replace the right rear quarter due to some damage and we purchased a new quarter from the manufacturer (forget who). Anyway, just recently, I noticed very small bubbles or blisters only where the new quarter is (this phenomenon does not go above the body seam so this is why I believe it has to do with the new panel). In bright outdoor light, you can barely see them but at dusk or indoor light, they are quite pronounced at certain angles.

At the time we installed the new panel, I do remember some type of warning about the fact that new panels are still curing, and that there is a small risk that shrinkage can occur which might cause a problem at the seam. However, I have never heard of this type of problem before.

Before I approach my paint guy, I have a few questions:

1) Why is this happening? Did the paint guy not prep something correctly? Is the panel curing and causing the paint to blister?
2) Can we strip the paint on this panel and repaint only the quarter or will we have to paint the whole rear clip?
3) If we repaint, do we need to do something special to prevent this happening again.

Anyone's insight or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[Modified by Luv2Kruz, 2:21 PM 8/2/2003]

[Modified by Luv2Kruz, 2:23 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-02-2003, 06:03 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Help on Paint Problem (Luv2Kruz)

1) Why is this happening? Did the paint guy not prep something correctly? Is the panel curing and causing the paint to blister?

There are several possibilities for this problem. One could be there were some air pockets just under the gel coat and these have now expanded and contracted a bunch of times leaving a bubble in the paint. Another but unlikely reason would be that there was still some mold release wax on the panel that did not allow the primer to adhere properly. The only was to find out is to sand down through the paint system until you find the actual source of the bubbles.

2) Can we strip the paint on this panel and repaint only the quarter or will we have to paint the whole rear clip?

Depending on the color and if you have to strip the paint all the way to the ridge. It is possible to roll the tape edge on the top ridge and just paint and clear the 1/4 panel if the situation is just right. If you have primer right up to the ridge then you will have to paint the whole rear clip.

) If we repaint, do we need to do something special to prevent this happening again

Like I stated above you will need to find the cause. I know of a shop that does a lot of Cobra kit car bodies and they set them in the sun for several days to get them as hot as they can so any bubble that are under the gel coat will expand and show so they can sand them open and fill them.
Good Luck, Craig
Old 08-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Help on Paint Problem (CF6873)

After 2 years? did you recently expose your fender to some un-ordinary heat?
Even if the painter throughly cleaned the panel, there could have been minuscule amounts of release agents and other chemicals still in the panel, that have expanded with the summer heat.

Take it back to the painter, and let him solve the problem. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help on Paint Problem

Quick Reply: Help on Paint Problem