C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 11:50 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum???

Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum???

:chevy :chevy :chevy :chevy :chevy :chevy
Old 08-02-2003, 12:12 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (AGVI)

There may be an answer or two here - http://www.corvetteforum.cc/performa...?generation=C3
Old 08-02-2003, 02:39 PM
TeenagerWith74Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (45ACP)

Give me about a month. We should be dynoing the new combo in less than 2 weeks. We're looking to make over 600hp on pump gas this time. That should push my car into the mid 10s.

Keep in mind that it is a pump gas, very streetable motor that will be driven alot.

Jay
Old 08-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (TeenagerWith74Vette)

Give me about a month. We should be dynoing the new combo in less than 2 weeks. We're looking to make over 600hp on pump gas this time. That should push my car into the mid 10s.

Keep in mind that it is a pump gas, very streetable motor that will be driven alot.

Jay
:cool: I seen you run the car at No Problem w/ the old combo.

Let us know how it turns out.
:cheers:
Old 08-02-2003, 07:57 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my goals set to run 10's with 8T1 :yesnod: on a N/A Small Block Engine in a drive it to the track full street trim including A/C posture.....Should be an interesting month of Sept..... :steering: :flag :seeya Cappy
Old 08-02-2003, 08:22 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (TeenagerWith74Vette)

Jay
Are you going to stay with the IRS and run slicks?? Or are you planning on installing a solid axle... I would be worried installing a engine that powerful in a car with IRS and sticky tires... I have broken one rear end already with less power (little less than 500 HP)...
Old 08-02-2003, 08:45 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (GrandSportC3)

Are you going to stay with the IRS and run slicks?? Or are you planning on installing a solid axle... I would be worried installing a engine that powerful in a car with IRS and sticky tires... I have broken one rear end already with less power (little less than 500 HP)...[/QUOTE]

I think a properly set up C-3 rear end can easy handle 600 HP if the proper components are used and the proper aligment of the half shafts....and proper setting of the strut rods are applied and maintained.
However most breakage occurs when the settings were out, and stock or inferior parts were used. Also after a few major hard passes.....the U-joints and parts back there should be inspected to assure alignment spec's are still there....and for failing parts....Most guy never go back there after they make a few hard runs.....then they assume all is well back there.....then the parts fail.....major damage occurs and they say the C-3 independent rearends are weak and cannot stand up to the rigors of high HP numbers and drag racing.
This is JMHO.......I could be wrong :rolleyes:
:flag :seeya Cappy
Old 08-02-2003, 09:23 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I personally would never go above 500 HP with a stock style IRS... :nonod: :nonod:

Well - my car has a 5-speed.. Automatics aren't all that aggressive on the rear end ...

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 9:24 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the definition of "streetable" Thats a very broad range from person to person. I dont think theres a true definition since personal opinion would play a role. In my opinion, just because it has legal tags and is drivin on the street doesnt make it streetable. Streetable should handle all types of driving conditions including incliment weather such as rain, extended highway use at 65mph+, traffic jams...ect. sure there are 10 second cars that are drivin on the street, but the majority of them arent streetable in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (Jvette73)

Streetable should handle all types of driving conditions including incliment weather such as rain, extended highway use at 65mph+, traffic jams...ect. sure there are 10 second cars that are drivin on the street, but the majority of them arent streetable in my opinion.
By your definition most of our Corvettes are not streeable.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:03 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Streetable means: no rain, no trips to the grocery store....just cruising in good weather every once in a while...

...and the ability to rip it once in a while!!!
What do you guys think a ZZ5, richmond six speed, ford nine inch and a 200 shot of NOS would produce? 11's? maybe high 10's??thanks, you guys are the best.....well, :cool: anyway!!! :lolg:

Old 08-02-2003, 11:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Streetable should handle all types of driving conditions including incliment weather such as rain, extended highway use at 65mph+, traffic jams...ect.

My car is not streetable. It will cruise indefinitely at 100 mph , well except for gas stops, never overheats in traffic, never fouls plugs, has great brakes but I refuse to drive it in the rain . It spends it's winters tucked away in a shop, on blocks with heavy flannel blankets protecting it's paint.
It would certainly be capable of tens with just a set of slicks. But it is not streetable :) :)
Double click to enlarge

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 10:13 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 12:10 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Streetable means: no rain, no trips to the grocery store....just cruising in good weather every once in a while...

...and the ability to rip it once in a while!!!
What do you guys think a ZZ5, richmond six speed, ford nine inch and a 200 shot of NOS would produce? 11's? maybe high 10's??thanks, you guys are the best.....well, :cool: anyway!!! :lolg:

I am not familiar with the ZZ5, but with the weight of our cars, I would estimate that it will take ~500+rwhp and good traction to hit the 10s. With a power-adder this figure is not hard to obtain and maintain outstanding street manners.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (WA 2 FST)

Yeah I guess my definition of streetable was harsh. But the things I mentioned surely make a car less streetable. Try this. Go to a drag strip and take a look at any car that runs in the 10 second bracket. We're talkin fuel cells, rollbars, slicks, gutted interriors, huge camshafts, very high stall speeds.... You get my point...almost none of them are streetable in my opinion.

I dont willfully take my car out in the rain either. But ill drive it 200miles, or any length for that matter, to a show or cruise event knowing that if it does happen to rain I can continue to drive thru without stopping. Now if i had a hole in the hood with half the engine stickin out, that could be a problem in the rain. Weather or not you think that limits streetability, is a matter of opinion.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:29 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a local mustang that looks stock and certainly does not have a problem idling. He drives 60 miles one way to the drag strip, bolts on a set of slicks, doesn't open the exhaust and runs 10.6's. He short shifts at 5300 and moving up to 5500 slows him down. I have watched him make runs and you wouldn't believe how stock the car looks. I would hate to run into him anytime.

As for the hole in the hood I am more worried about all the cleanup I would have to do to my undercarriage to remove water spots.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 2:03 PM 8/3/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 01:39 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah I guess my definition of streetable was harsh. But the things I mentioned surely make a car less streetable. Try this. Go to a drag strip and take a look at any car that runs in the 10 second bracket. We're talkin fuel cells, rollbars, slicks, gutted interriors, huge camshafts, very high stall speeds.... You get my point...almost none of them are streetable in my opinion.

I dont willfully take my car out in the rain either. But ill drive it 200miles, or any length for that matter, to a show or cruise event knowing that if it does happen to rain I can continue to drive thru without stopping. Now if i had a hole in the hood with half the engine stickin out, that could be a problem in the rain. Weather or not you think that limits streetability, is a matter of opinion.
I've been drag racing for the last 12-13 years. Lately less than I used to, but I have been there enough to know that the average 10-sec REAL street car DOES indeed exist. I built one. Like I said in a post above, with a blower/turbo/nitrous you can have a very docile driver (that will idle AND pass emissions!!) and make insane power when you stand on the throttle. It does not have to be some clapped-out, gutted race car. Certainly it does have to have the appropriate safety gear (roll cage/bar, driveshaft loop, scattershield on stick trans, etc), and that _can_ make it less streetable to some.

But down here in N. Dallas if you don't have the power to run at least low-11s, then you have a slow car. Period. And all these fast cars are driven around all the time. That is the beauty of forced induction, EFI, and a strong aftermarket for engine/trans mods. You can get 25-30mpg with an overdrive and EFI setup and yet make 600+rwhp. All it takes is some $$ and smart tuning.

Now get too deep into the 10s/9s and then yes, things start to break and everyone runs a high-stall automatic...and streetability to drive 200 miles at a time is hindered. I agree there. I would also say it is much harder to maintain a truly streetable combo and run without the benefit of forced induction. It can be done, its just harder.

FWIW, if I bolt on a set of slicks to my Z06 (which has stock heads, cam, intake, and exhaust... but with a 120hp shot of nitrous) it will run 10s easily. I might fry the clutch or bust a half-shaft doing it, however. :lol: I would say it is _definitely_ a street car. :)
Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum??? (WA 2 FST)

In my opinion, streetable does not mean street legal. Sure, my Corvette is street legal, but you wouldn't want to spend much time driving one around on the street. It's quick and fast, and incredibly loud. Also really has a hotrod attitude. But you'd quickly tire of it trying to commute to work. The much milder Grand Am runs nice and smooth, has a killer stereo, and an ice cold air conditioner.

I wanted brute acceleration instead of the underpowered small block, but what I gave up was the ability to cruise to work in it anytime I wanted with the top down. Now I have a high strung dragon under the hood of the shark, but you can literally watch the gas gauge go down. It's fun to race, but there's absolutely no place on the street to drive it much over idle, which is frustrating for me AND the car.

I'm not complaining, I love the hotrod Vette and its new attitude, but I've definitely kissed streetability goodbye. Something to think about when you're considering all out performance. Anyone can build it, but then you have to live with it. Know what I mean?

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum???

Old 08-03-2003, 10:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, he's not quite there (10sec), best is mid 11s, but Stingrayracing is selling his 72 (cheap!). It is very streetable and he thinks with a little work it could run 10.99. Also, at Etown last week.... I didnt see it... but everybody was talking about a nearly stock looking C3 (stock exhaust manifolds), and the guy was dialing in 9.90... and track officials are like..... WTF are you doing????? (no roll bar, plus it looks more like a 16 second car). The guy said he had run 150 mph in the 1/4 mile! :eek: MJ

looks like we have another (this should be a 9 sec vette! )

Monty writes:

I'm keeping it. I took it for a drive tonight up to the track for the first time, ran a 10.28 @ 162, got kicked out for not having the right safety equipment for that speed, and drove home. I had too much fun with it to sell it.

[Modified by MNJack, 10:19 PM 8/3/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:50 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: (MNJack)

Too bad Monty is selling it.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:27 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (MNJack)

looks like we have another (this should be a 9 sec vette! )

Monty writes:

I'm keeping it. I took it for a drive tonight up to the track for the first time, ran a 10.28 @ 162, got kicked out for not having the right safety equipment for that speed, and drove home. I had too much fun with it to sell it.

[Modified by MNJack, 10:19 PM 8/3/2003]
162mph = parachute required = mid-8 sec car with slicks and a suspension that can handle the power. :D

Quick Reply: Are there any 10 second streetable C3's in the Forum???