C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min.

I "uncapped" the STS baffles for my sidepipes and thought it was a little too loud for late night driving which i do regularly, but loved the sound during the day. Chuck gave me an idea to cap the back end of the baffles near the opening of the sidepipes. So i took the baffles out and went to the local hardware store and bought 2-1 1/4" square end exterior threaded plumbing pipe caps which were very close in size to the opening in the baffle. I was able to get the first few threads in by hand then put them in a vise and ratched them down tight. Repeated this a half dozen times until it dug some good threads in the baffles. Put the pipes back on and now i can go from extra loud to just loud in about five minutes with the pipe caps, ratchet and 3" extension. Been doing this for the last 3 weeks and works well as long as i get the threads started right. Bubba would be proud. :D

[Modified by Steve81, 2:33 AM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-02-2003, 01:32 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min. (Steve81)

That's pretty cool! I have never run mine capped up, so I don't know the noise level difference.

Good looking car you have there, too!
Old 08-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min. (Steve81)

Steve,

That's pretty cool! I still think that some extended enthusiastic driving may build just enough pressure to go "pop". I don't recall the name for the part, but back in my ranching days, we used a type of cotter pin with a spring loaded ring through the end of the pin. Made for quick connect and disconnect for rear hitch mounts on tractors. this would work real well for the end caps.

I'm sure some of you farm boys can re-enlighten me with the technical term for this piece of hardware exotica! It's driving me nuts for not remembering the name of this nifty little piece.

Chuck
Old 08-02-2003, 02:13 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min. (Chuck Harmon)

:iagree: If i was going to drive very far or any real hard driving with them in I probably would drill a hole thru the whole deal and use a thick cotter pin (probably will do this anyway the next time i have them out because the threads will eventually wear from putting them in and out) but i really just use them for late night driving and at that time i try to keep quiet and just rumble around. BTW, thanks for the idea! And i would be interested in knowing the spring pin your talking about if anybody knows the name.

[Modified by Steve81, 2:31 AM 8/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min.

Quick Reply: Rigged a way to cap and uncap STS baffles in 5 Min.