C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank?

Well, I've changed the Plugs, Dist. Cap, Rotor and Wires. Put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and had turned the crank several times this week. I think the only thing left is to get the stale gas out of the tank and lines. What’s the easiest way? (my 82 has been sitting 6 years under a tree). Is there anything I need to do to the injectors? If I get it started I’ll take in down and fill the tank and add injector cleaner.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank? (Skyhigh)

Skyhigh,

Can't help you with the injectors, but there are multiple ways of syphoning the gas out of the tank. When I was drag racing we made an electric pump set-up that connected to the quick charge outlets on the rear bumper. Since that is not cost effective for you or even me now(both vettes had trash & water in the gas) I simply bought a hand crank type syphon from Ace Hardware and had them hook up clear hoses on both ends to see what was coming out. The first vette had a good 10-12 gallons of crap gas and took me about an hour and two containers to put it in. The last one one only had about a gallon and took about 10 minutes. I made my own swab on a coat hanger and fished around inside to clean out the excess of garbage. Luckily neither tank was a mess with rust or much trash. I can take a pic of it so you can see what you are looking for if you want. Just be sure to mention that you are syphoning gas as you don't want a pump that cannot take the corrosive aspects of fuel.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:57 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank? (bgrice)

Turn car upside down, the do actually make a device that does this, it's used mainly on boats to work easily on the underside, but there is a conversion to use on a car.

:steering:
Old 08-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank? (munday)

How much gas is in the tank right now?

The reason why I ask is that my car sat 18 years with only being started up one time. I did the same thing you did... marvel mystery oil, turn motor over every day, new plugs, cap, and battery.

I added 5 gallons of fresh gasoline and started it right up. Let it idle for a little bit to see if anything bad happened. A few weeks of tinkering with the car and running the engine, and I had it back out on the road.

If you get it sarted and have brakes, I say let it idle for a while then drive the thing.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank? (Skyhigh)

You have an electric fuel pump. Maybe you can just pump it out.

When I changed the fuel filter underneath on my 82 the gas started to run out. For obvious reasons I didn't wait to see if it would drain the whole tank before I stuck a plug in it.:D Maybe you can drain/pump to this point.

Dane
Old 08-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank? (Enad)

You have an electric fuel pump. Maybe you can just pump it out. When I changed the fuel filter underneath on my 82 the gas started to run out. For obvious reasons I didn't wait to see if it would drain the whole tank before I stuck a plug in it.:D Maybe you can drain/pump to this point.Dane
then splash an ounce of fresh gas down the intake :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank?

Quick Reply: What's the easiest way to get stale gas out of the tank?