C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:21 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Battery Question

I need a battery for my 68 coupe and i seem to recall that some time ago Sears advertised a DieHard battery that had a built in "shut off" feature that disarmed the battery with a keyfob so that when you left the vehicle it was as though the battery was dead.
I couldn't find this battery on Sears' web site.
Does anyone know if they still sell this battery or if this item is no longer avaialble.
It seemed like a real good idea, alsmost like a built in burglar alarm or theft deterrent system.
Thank you,
Old 08-02-2003, 12:35 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

They don't make them anymore and recalled all the old ones. :eek: I still have mine, but I will trade it in soon. It was a good idea, but not perfect. A physical cutoff switch is better. Now a remote control shutoff switch is a great idea. I have seen an ad for such a device. :)

I was very disappointed when I heard Sears was recalling all of the security batteries. At first I thought the problem was simply that people were not using them properly and were complaining. However, I heard that there were instances when the battery would get a little low in power and then would shut itself off..... while you were driving! This was the "power saver" feature that is supposed to automatically shut the battery down if you have a drain condition, so you will have enuf power remaining to start the car. MJ
Old 08-02-2003, 12:44 PM
vette_net
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Question (ksbunting)

Best battery is still the GM Delco almost perfect in every way.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:19 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Battery Question (vette_net)

Just curious, do you have experience or data to support this? I certainly like the idea of replacing an original GM (or AC Delco) part with a GM part. I know that for NCRS judging you will lose fewer points with a new AC Delco battery because that is what came in our cars when new, but in recent years I have heard that AC Delco batteries are made by other manufacturers (I don't know who makes them now) and their quality is not what it used to be. I have purchased several AC Delco parts that were made overseas and were complete junk. Specifically, a fuel filter that had "inlet" stamped on the outlet side, a black distributor cap that felt lighter than styrofoam and was defective out of the box, and a radiator cap (made in India) that leaked when new. My recent experience tells me it is a mistake to assume that the GM replacement part for your car is always the best option. Do you have any data on the batteries? :) MJ

I know a guy named George who would routinely repeat the mantra that keeping your car stock is best, GM engineers knew best, GM parts are best, and just expected you to accept it all on faith.... regardless of what actual experience proved.

[Modified by MNJack, 10:22 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM or not..car batteries have a shelf life. Its stamped in a code on the side of the battery. Anyone know how to read these date codes. Fresher is better no matter what kind it is.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:35 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Battery Question (vette_net)

I disagree, I have had bad service from Delco batteries recently. Namely, a leak forming in the post and leaking battery acid allover the car and my new carport. If it would have leaked in either of my vettes I would be extremely ticked.

Last Delco I returned under warranty was replaced by a Delphi if I am not mistaken.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Battery Question (Jvette73)

GM or not..car batteries have a shelf life. Its stamped in a code on the side of the battery. Anyone know how to read these date codes. Fresher is better no matter what kind it is.
And odds are they don't want you to be able to decode it. Nor do they want you to decode that all the cheap parts came from China or Mexico. Believe it or not every U.S. company can stamp "Made in the USA" as long as it is assembled in the U.S. no matter where they were imported from.

I personally like Eckler's "Genuine GM Parts". All I have recieved lately are honestly packaged as not American made(most Mexico) and I paid twice the going price. All that matters is that I can say I have *genuine* GM parts on my vettes no matter how stupid I am. :thumbs:

There is an underlying bit of sarcasm if you missed it.

And don't get me started on anything "Sears Automotive". If I broke down and the only choice was Sears I would have to burn the vette to the ground. Best bets is that Hagerty would consider it a "just cause". :lol:

Nothing but bad experiences if you couldn't tell.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Battery Question (Jvette73)

Anyone know how to read these date codes. Fresher is better no matter what kind it is.
Generally speaking, most battery manufacturers use the nomenclature below. When you buy one, pick the one off the shelf with the latest date.

A = Jan
B = Feb
C = Mar
Etc.....

01 = 2001
02 = 2002
03 = 2003
Etc.....
Old 08-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery Question (SharkAttack)

The past several batteries I got from Battery Warehouse. They always have fresh batteries with very low shelf life. So low that when I went back with a problem, they recognized it was thier battery, noted the date code, pro-rated the warantee and gave me a discount on the new one without a reciept.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:31 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the correct old style tar top batteries that are sold by some of the aftermarket/reproduction dealers?
I am referring to the ones that look like the original Delco battery that came with the car as original equipment and had the caps with the rubber "overflow" hoses.
Thank you,
Kurt
Old 08-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

I don't have personal experience with them but many of the resto guys around here use batteries from New Castle battery. They are a licenced reproduction manufacturer. http://www.turbostart.com/specialt.htm They have true originals and are even working on batteries that look 100% like originals but are sealed/maintenance free like modern batteries. I live nearby, if you'd like me to drop by and see if they have any brochures or stuff let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Question

Quick Reply: Battery Question