C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:09 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown?

Good news first. Bolted on the brand new Thorley headers - look'n good. :D

Bad news. Tight clearance between fiberglass floor pans and collectors. Only ~1/2" gap on passenger side (~1" on drivers side). Also noticed a ~3" x ~2" glass fiber exposed area on passenger side floor pan. Flexed easily and could have pushed my thumb right up through it with a little effort.
Now how to fix upsidedown fiberglass? Bondo says thier mix cures in only 2 hours and Walmart sells a small kit for only ~$8 with a small cloth sheet. Do I need the mat type sheet to match the floor pan? Is Bondo fiberglass good enough for use under the car? Hows that sheet of repair glass gonn'a stay in place until set/dry?

Now I wanted to fabricate a heat shield for each floor pan but found adhisive backed heat barriers/heat screens/reflect shields that looks too good to be true. Marketed by Cool It Thermo Tec/DEI/Fel-Pro the price is right but can I trust'm to stay on the car and prevent combustion of my passenger compartment? Anyone use these? :skep:
Old 08-02-2003, 08:32 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown? (cardo0)

No problem working fiberglass upside down if you do it right. Rough up the floor with coarse sandpaper. Mix up the resin and hardener. Brush it onto the floor. Take the cloth or matte and stick it to the wet resin. Then use the brush to dab more resin into the cloth until it turns clear throughout. Stick another sheet of cloth on and dab with brush. Dab on more resin if needed. Let harden. You're done. Joe

[Modified by joe73vette, 8:35 PM 8/2/2003]
Old 08-03-2003, 12:51 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown? (joe73vette)

Thanks Joe. :D

Anyone use the Thermal Barrier adhesive sheets ?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:47 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown? (cardo0)

GM made some snap on heat shields in 66 or 67 that have clamps that grab around the exhaust. Also in 69 or 70, GM manufactured bolt on shields that cover the inclined portion for the floorboard where your feet go.
Both are available from ZIP, Dr. Rebuild, etc.

I'd suggest using these in addition to the stick on product you mentioned.

Then insulate the interior per the vettefaqs or numerous CF threads.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:48 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

ttt :D

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown?

Quick Reply: Exhaust heat damage to fiberglass floor-pans. Can fix upsidedown?