C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting interior back together tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:30 PM
szercer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting interior back together tips needed

Pulled everything out to dye and put new gauges, carpet, weatherstripping in the 76 and had some serious downtime waiting for parts. Any tips or resources on how to speed up my reassembling process? I labeled and bagged some parts but the majority is not... I'm waiting on a new ecklers catalog because I remeber some diagrams they had in there that weren;t bad, but I'd like to just go get it done.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: putting interior back together tips needed (szercer)

Buy a complete interior screw set, no searching for teh right screws and they are all labeled. A little trick I came up with is to cut a 1/16-1/8th" peice of vac hose and thread it up on the screws that go into the vinyl peices, this acts as a cushion to keep the screw's washer from pushing into the vinyl. The washer covers the hose so you don't even see it.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:27 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: putting interior back together tips needed (Fevre)

I have had my interior apart so many times, I actually just throw all my screws in a box and simply know which screws go where. The advice I have is to be very careful with your original soft trim parts. The repro's look good when you get them, but the vast majority fit like crap. The screw holes don't line up (if they even have ***** enough to pre-tap them), the panel contour is not correct, and there are large gaps. Nothing fits like the stock pieces. One other piece of advice....be real patient. Re-assembling trim parts is a tedious job, especially when things don't line up. Don't force things, take a night off when you get frustrated and come back another time. I am in the middle of my interior re-assembly as well. Good luck! :cheers:

AC

[Modified by A C, 7:28 PM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Sun King
Pro

Default Re: putting interior back together tips needed (Ed T)

Yes! Just finished Wifey's '79 interior...
1- have someone around to support the radio portion of your dash while installing the ctr. console, and it will line up even if it's aftermarket.

2- make sure to install the seat belt components before the seats :banghead:

3- the repalcement screw kit is worth buying! :yesnod:
Old 08-02-2003, 12:41 AM
szercer
Instructor

Default Re: putting interior back together tips needed (Sun King)

thanks for all the tips, I do have the screw kit so it hsouldnt be that bad, I'm just dreading trying to figure which panel goes in first and such... My rear seatbelt is giving me trouble not fitting with the new carpet padding I think, maybe I have it in backwards, the box faces the rear of the car, I think?

Get notified of new replies

To putting interior back together tips needed

Quick Reply: putting interior back together tips needed