C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice...what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:00 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension advice...what to get?

ok guys...You can see my sig for what my car has. So far, nothing done to the suspension, except for about 6 month old brand new front bushings (Stock-I didnt do it, it was before I got the car)

Basically, suspension is next on the list. Ive got the Credit card with $800-1500 depending on what it is I decide on. What would you guys do to improve the car? I was looking at VB&P package. Is it worth it? or maybe just go with poly bushings and some other components seperate? If I do go with the package I think i was looking at the street & slalom for like 1300 or something? Anybody have any opinions on this setup? Im all ears guys...what do you think?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Suspension advice...what to get? (joshs78sleeper)

I guess I should also note that I have 17" wheels with dunlop sport 9000's. I want to utilize these tires before theyre worn out. Also...I need to lower it about 2" from stock height. Or at least where its at now. I cut the front springs 3/4 of a coil, however it still needs to go down an inch and a half or so.

Also, Im young and care much more about performance then comfort. Adjustable would be nice for long rides, but I want it to handle excellent mostly.

So is there a kit you guys would recommend? Closest to $1,000 I can stay...but maybe a little more if its worth it.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:51 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last full suspension job I did was last year on my 79 Trans AM. Used all PST poly-graphite everything. Every piece was replaced front to rear, including springs and kyb shocks. totaled out around $1800 including labor. (To many cars, to many projects at the time) Huge difference, and no squeaks (graphite)
When I do my 76 stingray I am going the EXACT same route.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:04 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Suspension advice...what to get? (BigBadOrange)

Im looking at the VB&P Hi performance package. The Performance Plus package is a little too pricey for me right now, and its basically just for street driving. What do you guys think about the system? How much better is the plus system compared to this, and bang for the buck?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:03 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First do your homework: read the first several pages of Guldstrand's catalog and VBP's catalog for handling basics.

1. Be certain that your basics are in good shape: tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, steering rag joint. Replace with kit from ZIP.
2. Adjust your steering box per Vette Improvement Program in vettefaqs. Or replace with rebuild from VanStel or ZIP
3. Install poly bushings in trailing arms, diff forward connection, control arms.
I prefer graphite impregnetted.

Now your'e ready for upgrades:
1. 1 1/8" front, 5/8" rear stabars with poly bushings and adjustable endlinks.
2. VB 460 front springs, TRW 330 rear composite spring.
3. Bilstein Sport shocks.
4. VB Smart Struts.
5. VB front HD tie rods.
6. Guldstrand bump steer blocks.
7. VB front shock tower spreader bar.
8. lower front and rear as per Vette Improvement Program - pay attention to Z and D heights. Do not lower to the point that you are bouncing off your frame bumpers.
DO NOT do upgrades until your basics are in very good shape!

Align with settings per Guldstrand Street/Strip.

Do the above and you will not believe it's the same car..........

Next on your list should be brakes upgrade.

Footnote: Don't know how far you are from Guldstrand's shop in Burbank but it's worth a drive to see him and his shop in person. He's a very nice guy and a true legend in Corvette history.

[Modified by flynhi, 6:05 PM 8/1/2003]

[Modified by flynhi, 8:50 PM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 09:18 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Suspension advice...what to get? (flynhi)

I did the VB slolom package 6 or 7 years ago with the 550lb front coils and 360lb glass rear spring.Adjustable struts on the rear,and poly bushings everywhere. The front bar is a 1 1/4",rear bar 3/4",and I have to say there's virtually no body lean during hard cornering.The ride is rough if the roads are poor,but overall,not bad.This is a tough call to make,as not everyones taste is the same.I describe the ride as similar to a 3/4 ton 4x4 running on rough road,however same truck on the highway isn't that bad.

I can't rationalize the bigger rims and low profile tires due to expense and I don't care for the look on a C-3,but can see the performance benifit due to tighter sidewall control.To each his own on that.I put new rubber on every 2 years due to high mileage wear,but some of you that don't run the miles I do would benifit from the 17-18" tires.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1300..hmmm. Lets see what I spent on my susp mods

460lb touring coils-------------------------------------$99----Ecklers
340lb TRW monoleaf----------------------------------$249---Muskegon Brake
Bilstien shocks-----------------------------------------$240---Ecklers
Energy suspension poly graphite bushings----------$165---Jegs
Energy suspension greasable swaybar bushings----$15----Jegs
4 wheel alignment--------------------------------------$120---local
blood sweat and tears of my own installation labor--$0

Grand total-----------------------------------------------$888

Car is way better then stock now in ride quality and handling. Dont need nothing else. Would do it again the same way.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension advice...what to get?

Quick Reply: Suspension advice...what to get?