C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long bolts to drop the rear...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:42 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long bolts to drop the rear...

Last weekend I replaced my spring, side yokes and u-joints. I installed the extended bolt kit from Mid America but it was only about a half inch longer than the stock bolt. Consequently, I still have a four or five inch gap above the tire. I'd like to install an 8inch minimum or preferably 9 or 10 bolt but can't find a source. These are 9/16th -12tpi grade 8 hex head bolts. Anybody know a source? :banghead:
Old 08-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Petes73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (FeedVaal)

Got mine from Vette Brakes (8 inch). With the stock spring I have the stock ride height
Old 08-01-2003, 04:10 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (Lyman Ring)

Now that I look at it again, I think I need at least 9".
I can't believe I said that. :lolg:
Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to a local bolt and nut supply house and got 2 grade 8 fine thread bolts with nylock nuts. Total cost was about $8. However, they did not lower my rear any. I've still got about 3" between tire and fender. Watch out for potential tire/end of bolt contact when the tire leans over in a hard corner.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (Brettmc)

Just had a bright idea. I've called around for a 9/16 bolt, if I ask for 5/8 I bet I find one immediately.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a place that services heavy equipment and trucks like catapillers and such. Thats what I did. I got grade 8, 10" threadded rod and used a nut on each end plus holes drilled and cotterpins. Becarefull on the bottom side as it brings the spring ends closer to the inner sidewalls. I had to use a smaller diameter spring bushing washer to gain some extra clearence.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:41 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a pair of 10" bolts from VB&P. My ride height is now within factory specification, but my spring ends are WAY lower than they should be. Without doubt, there will be road contact if I ever have a rear tire go flat.
Which spring did you install, steel or composite? Either way, it's unfortunate that we cannot find a vendor/manufacturer who will sell/build springs that are made with the correct load rate/load height for our cars. We shouldn't have to use excessively long end bolts to bring the ride height down to within factory specs.
:rant:
Old 08-02-2003, 10:20 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (MIKER)

I got the standard 9leaf steel from the madvette boys and the rides a little softer now so I'm happy as far as that goes. I must have missed those 10 inch bolts on the vb&p website. I'll give them a call if I can't find something locally. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:54 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car had a composite spring already installed when I bought it. the stock 6-1/2" bolts made the car sit about 4" high in the back. I went to a local fastener supplier and got two grade 8 9/16" fine theread 8" bolts, with steel lock nuts for $10. It dropped the rear about two inches, and apparently helped with weight distribution, because the front of the car came up about an inch. The front fenders were previously just above my tire. it looks great the way it is now.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (Brettmc)

I went to a local bolt and nut supply house and got 2 grade 8 fine thread bolts with nylock nuts. Total cost was about $8. However, they did not lower my rear any. I've still got about 3" between tire and fender. Watch out for potential tire/end of bolt contact when the tire leans over in a hard corner.

Brett :thumbs:
:iagree: I had the same problem as Brett, the rear of my Vette looks like a 4X4.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (Jvette73)

You have made an important point: use grade 8 bolts. Lot of pressure back there.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:01 AM
crazcorkath
Instructor

I had to use the longer bolts after I replaced the 9 leaf rear spring in my 1972 corvette. I am now in the process of doing the rear on my '64 vette and have decided to go with the VBP rear suspension upgrade with the composite spring. It comes with the longer bolts. They also sell 10" bolts if needed
Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Long bolts to drop the rear... (MIKER)

I purchased a pair of 10" bolts from VB&P. My ride height is now within factory specification, but my spring ends are WAY lower than they should be. Without doubt, there will be road contact if I ever have a rear tire go flat.
Which spring did you install, steel or composite? Either way, it's unfortunate that we cannot find a vendor/manufacturer who will sell/build springs that are made with the correct load rate/load height for our cars. We shouldn't have to use excessively long end bolts to bring the ride height down to within factory specs.
:rant:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :banghead: :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To Long bolts to drop the rear...

Quick Reply: Long bolts to drop the rear...