C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum flywheel for BB?

Old 08-01-2003, 02:59 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum flywheel for BB?

In the process of fixing my Muncie, that is only 1 year old, got ripped by someone who was supposed to be an expert! Thats another story for sure. Anyway the shop tells me my flywheel has a bunch of holes in it when the other guy attempted balancing. Looks like I need a new one now, should I check out a aluminum one? Any advantages or disadvantages Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 12:32 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum flywheel for BB? (467-Ratman)

Aluminums are double to triple the price, mine for my 383 was 450 dollars from summit, it's made by ramm clutches or something.

You can launch harder with steel (about 30lbs) and can hold rpms easier.
With aluminum, (15-17 lbs) you can accelerate faster, due to less rotating mass, but can't launch as hard because oyu can't maintain the inertia of a heavier flywheel.

I still like the aluminum
Old 08-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum flywheel for BB? (467-Ratman)

I think I would find another shop... They should know.... or they are trying to put one over on you... Big blocks over 427cid are exteranlly balanced engine and the flywheel is part of the balancing as is the harmonic balancer. The drilled spots are supposed to be there. These are made out of balance to be used only on externally balanced motors like 454's. Either way I wouldn't trust them anymore.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:56 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Aluminum flywheel for BB? (bluevetteman)

I think I would find another shop... They should know.... or they are trying to put one over on you... Big blocks over 427cid are exteranlly balanced engine and the flywheel is part of the balancing as is the harmonic balancer. The drilled spots are supposed to be there. These are made out of balance to be used only on externally balanced motors like 454's. Either way I wouldn't trust them anymore.
:iagree:
100% correct!

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum flywheel for BB?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheel for BB?