C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD radio noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:58 PM
rparkervette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD radio noise

Ok, I know about the typical alternator whine and installing a suppressor on the back of the radio. However, I installed an MSD box and converted my distributor to magnetic pickups. My problem is " As soon as you turn the radio **** on a loud whiny buzz comes thru the speakers, its not a high/low noise with rpms, and the radio isn't even turned up. The noise is heard loud enough for a person next to me at the stop light to look at me funny. Can you install a typical suppressor to the msd? If so, how? My thought is the msd is connected to the distributor, which has a tach cable to the tachometer, which is connected to the dash, which is connected to the radio? Also is the small capacitor attached to the back of the tachometer doing anything? What noise is it suppose to suppress? Thanks for help.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LOUD radio noise (rparkervette)

MSD makes a noise suppressor that connects to a hot wire coming off the box. You can also put noise filters on your power wires & Antennea.

After I put my MSD unit in I had a nasty whine too. The only filter I needed was for the antennae. That cleared it up for me. I bought mine at JC Whitney -- worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: LOUD radio noise