C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:04 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation.

Well I am a little dissapointed. Its no fun spending close to $2,000 on a tranny, and then having to pull it apart and have the car not running because of internal problems. I understand they happen, but it sucks. At least Im special. I am the only person to ever have this problem in the last 8 years that Bow Tie Overdrives has been building trannies.

The 700-r4 will not go into park because there is an arm inside the valvebody that is supposed to pull out when the gear moves into the park position. Ya....well that arm is stuck and will not come out, even with the force of pliers, etc. So it looks like Im going to have to replace the whole valvebody. Im not very happy right now. Oh well. Anyways....figured Id give you guys an update.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (joshs78sleeper)

:cry
Old 08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (Alwyn678)

Hmmm...not sure how to take the crying face. Not sure if you feel my pain or youre calling me a whiner, lol. Dont make me come over there :boxing ;)
Old 08-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (Alwyn678)

How far are you from BTO? probably too far...

My 700R4 has small leaks from the speedo cable, pan, rear seal & maybe the front seal. They are small, but there. I'll probably bring it to a local shop. I do not feel like pulling it and sending it back to them at this point. Very disappointed with BTO.

They say they run all the transmissions in a vehicle as a test. How do you miss 4 leaks??? They were there on Day #1. I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned...
Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Hmmm...not sure how to take the crying face. Not sure if you feel my pain or youre calling me a whiner, lol. Dont make me come over there :boxing ;)
Sympathy for ya........sucks to dump a bunch of cash as an improvement and end up with a car that you can't drive :nonod:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look on the bright side. At least you didn't hafta yank it out to fix it.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:33 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (Brettmc)

Ya, not yet (knock on wood). Well hopefully It is a quick fix with the new valve body. At least I got to learn a new lesson about trannys. Just cause you drained it 3 days ago, doesnt mean the pan will still be empty. I had tranny fluid everywhere yesterday. :nonod:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really am shocked that BTO did not work with you on getting this resolved more to your satisfaction. Now you are on the forum spreading the word, which can't be good for business. I know it has swayed me not to go that route if and when I upgrade to a 4-speed auto tranny. They should have done you right so that way you would be on the forum praising them and how they took care of you instead of how they took your 2K and then threw you under the bus in regards to customer service. I would think at the very least, a partial refund for your time and effort would be in order. Best of luck on getting up and going soon, I feel for you.

CVT4ME :cheers:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (CVT4ME)

Ya well like I said before, I have had pretty good service so far. I thought the package was very good...they gave me everything I needed which is rare, and the tranny has good shifting characteristics from what I could tell so far. However its just dissapointing that a brand new tranny 3 days later fails like that. I understand it happens....and they have ben pretty good about, as far as trying to get it fixed...however it just sucks that I have had to be under my car for the last 3 days trying to fix this issue after spending all the money to get the "best tranny" and all the time it took me to install it.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:00 PM
arrio76
Instructor

The 700-r4 will not go into park because there is an arm inside the valvebody that is supposed to pull out when the gear moves into the park position. Ya....well that arm is stuck and will not come out, even with the force of pliers, etc. So it looks like Im going to have to replace the whole valvebody. Im not very happy right now. Oh well. Anyways....figured Id give you guys an update.
Sorry to hear that. But I am a bit confused. I don't recall anything "in the valve body" that would prevent movement into park.
The selector linkage is connected to the manual valve and that valve strokes freely in the valve body. Could the arm you mention be that piece which is under a 2 bolt formed plate at the rear of the case? That Arm is moved by the long park rod when in the Park position and pushes the Arm over to engage the Park gear at the rear of the transmission.
It may be a defective spring/ferral at the end of the park rod. Also the park lever arm may be frozen frozen/bound against the plate.
Access to the park lever and plate assy requires removal of the auxilary valvebody at the rear of the main cast iron valvebody (4 bolts). The end of the aux. VB sits over the park lever mehanism.

[Modified by arrio76, 12:02 PM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 01:08 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (arrio76)

You said the selector linkage strokes freely in the manual valve body? I believe that is what im referring to. I dont know the appropriate terminology and the BTO tech called it the arm? Anyhow...yes, it should move freely in the manual valve body, however it is not. It will not come out past 1/4" for some reason. I took the whole assembly off, and tried manually pulling that piece out, and it will not come. I have no clue why not, and neither does the tech.If you have any ideas I am all ears, because Id like to get it running today, not next tuesday when I recieve the new parts.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh,

My apologies, I thought I had read in your previous post regarding this matter, that they had not been real helpful. If they have then great, glad to hear that they are trying to work with you. You know how it is, trying to keep up with the tons of posts that go on within the forum, I probably misunderstood the situation. Best of luck to you!

CVT4ME
Old 08-01-2003, 05:43 PM
arrio76
Instructor

You said the selector linkage strokes freely in the manual valve body? I believe that is what im referring to. I dont know the appropriate terminology and the BTO tech called it the arm? Anyhow...yes, it should move freely in the manual valve body, however it is not. It will not come out past 1/4" for some reason. I took the whole assembly off, and tried manually pulling that piece out, and it will not come. I have no clue why not, and neither does the tech.If you have any ideas I am all ears, because Id like to get it running today, not next tuesday when I recieve the new parts.
Hmmm, Well it sounds like there is some debris in the valve bore preventing the valve from stroking full length. Was there anything in the bottom of the pan? Since the valve is stuck, then the ball is in BTO's court and they have to remedy the problem.
There are techniques to free up stuck or binding valves. First check to ensure that there are no large debris bit to block the valve from moving. One is to tap on the valve with a small hammer an flat screwdriver. Hitting the valve on the non-machined portion. This tends to compress the debris and provide clearance for the valve in the bore. Also slamming the valvebody (flat machined side) on a firm flat surface. Be observant of retaining pins that may fall out of the valvebody when doing this This does a similar action to the valves as the screwdiver and hammer.
I would caution you about trying to fix thier error. They should probobly get the unit back or at least the defective part back to see what they did wrong. Not to mention future warrenty problems.
Good luck and keep us posted.

[Modified by arrio76, 4:49 PM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 05:47 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (arrio76)

Ya theyre supposed to send me a whole new setup...but I hope he sends me all the right stuff. Anyhow...I think for this weekend I am just going to put it all back together so I can drive it.

Would there be any problems putting it back together and driving it? I mean it goes into every other gear...just have to put it into neutral when I want to park it. Im going to call BTO and make sure its cool with them, but I really want to drive it this weekend and get going on this breakin.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:54 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You are not alone in the BowTie saga,and if I were in California I'd drive the car to them and have them resolve the fault.Enough said. :mad :mad :mad
Old 08-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation. (The Money Pit)

You are not alone in the BowTie saga,and if I were in California I'd drive the car to them and have them resolve the fault.Enough said. :mad :mad :mad
Yes, I have to admit, their after-sale service blows. :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation.

Quick Reply: Update on my BTO 700r4 no park situation.