C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Switch Question

Old 08-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiper Switch Question

I've got a 70 454 and I was working on the ignition shielding around the distributor/coil. I went out for a cruise and halfway through the drive I smelled an electrical burning smell. It was a similar smell to the fibers burning off of the condenser/coil wire. I banged around the vacuum lines and noticed that they were off at the diverter on the driver's side. I re-attached the hoses incorrectly because when I started the car, the wiper door came up. I reversed the hose back. Out of curiosity, I turned on the wiper switch from the console and had no response from the wipers. I am going to assume that this is an electrical problem with the wipers and not the vacuum system. Any suggestions on troubleshooting the wipers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:23 PM
DougsL89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiper Switch Question (70454)

Sounds like you may have wiring shorting out somewhere around the shielding. I replaced my engine wiring harness this spring (this harness contains the wiper wiring as well). I was horrified at what I found when I removed the harness. These cars are 30+ years old, and the wiring deteriorates, especially around the motor due to the heat. Alot of my insulation was gone, even on the primary coil wire. Mine had arced out on the shielding. This was definitely the best $165 (LectricLimited) I had put in my car yet. I can't believe the old harness didn't catch on fire. Replacing it was a 2-3 hour job, and pretty straightforward. Don't know if this is your problem, but I would definitely start with a harness inspection. Good luck!
-Doug-
Old 08-01-2003, 07:34 PM
69 LT1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Switch Question (DougsL89)

You have 4 wires involved in the wiper motor,

1. the three wire plug in the center of the wiper motor
2. the washer pump plug
3. the limit switch for the wiper door
4. the over ride switch under the dash

Open the wiper door with the manual port under the dash then try the wipers,
if they dont work, push the wash in and see if it starts the wipers once, if they do its the wiper switch,

To further verify its the switch, Take a test light connect the ground to the carb air cleaner bolt and place the probe in the closest wire (forgot the color) to the drivers side of the 3 wire plug thats connected to the wiper motor,
Leave the probe attached and turn on the wiper switch, If it wipers work the switch is bad, pull the probe out and the wipers will park,
on the 3 wire plug on the motor,

Keep the wiper door open when checking the switch

[Modified by 69 LT1, 7:04 PM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Switch Question (69 LT1)

Thanks.

I've found a vacuum leak in the actuator. The seal came loose. I replaced the seal. The front hose seems to suck well but when I hit the override switch I can hear a major hiss (vacuum leak) that seems to come from the drivers side. Will action/inaction of the wiper door affect the starting of the wipers? I've tried the wipers with the door open and the door limit switch activated and no luck. The manual wiper switch (the ****) does not activate the wipers either. I have still yet to try the electrical end of things since I feel that it may be due to the vacuum system.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Switch Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Switch Question