C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:06 AM
69vette66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them

How do you rate comparing to the other companies that sell vette parts, as far as product and service?

:cheers: Larry
Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (69vette66)

From what I've heard, the product is great!

-Steve
Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

They have good quality hard to find parts. :chevy
Old 08-01-2003, 12:29 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (Steve Grodin)

Good source of parts at a good price. Catalog has good diagrams. I have ordered from them several times with good results.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:50 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never purchased there but those that do usually swear by him. He is said to have good prices and a long list of hard to find parts.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:01 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

:iagree:
Another good vendor!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:14 AM
petty44
Racer

no problems with them, they have the hard to find parts!!!!! :cool: :iagree:
Old 08-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (petty44)

Support the Corvetteforum supporting vendors. They are the ones paying the bills for this place. Check out the list of supporting vendors before ordering each time. There is usually one of them that has what you are looking for at a similar cost.

-Justin
Old 08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
bmar
Racer

I well second that on the supporting vendors. there are companies out there that deserve our business and there are ones that don't.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (bmar)

I always go to the supporting venders first. There are some hard to find NOS parts that they don't carry.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

They have good quality hard to find parts.
:iagree:

the only problem I've had with them is attitude. Some of the girls are a bit snippy on the phone. A minor gripe I agree, but there's no need for this type of behavior towards paying customers.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Jay M
Drifting

I ordered from Dr Rebuild a couple times. I don't think they are woth the crap you need to put with. I called from work and they wouldn't accept the call because their caller ID didn't recognise it. I ordered the Headlamp and Wiper door hose kit. It was very good, but not perfect. I also ordered some firewall grommets. They didn't fit right at all. When I called they didn't offer any help with the order. I was expected to have the part number handy, even though I didn't use the toll free line!!

I will not buy from them again unless there are no other options. There are plenty of companies that have all the parts. The two best so far have been Corvette America and Paragon. Paragon has a lot of hard to find parts and they are nice to you when you call.

Another great source, if you don't need support, and they have what you want is GM parts direct. They have very good prices on GM parts which are very high quality. But they charge a fortune for shipping. The price on their web site is dealer cost, they make theier profit on shipping. But it is still a lot cheaper than what you would pay at the dealer.

Paragon has been my favorite, so I will always call them first. I will only order from Dr. Rebuild if I can't find the part anywhere else.

~Jay
Old 08-01-2003, 11:38 AM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (Jay M)

Dr. Rebuild has a typical New York attitude. No BS. Even though they are in Ct they have that NY flavor. I know it and I like it. You can't beat his quality or prices and if you don't hassel them they are fine. If you want to be a pushy pr--k you picked the wrong company. They can dish it out as well as take it.

I have purchased from them for years and never had a problem. Just explain your problem and follow their directions and it will be fine. They don't take technical calls on their 800 order line that is their rule and if you honor it no problem. If you want to ask a technical question on their order line. Forgetaboutit!!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (BUGGSY1970)

They can dish it out as well as take it.
I hear ya' ... but why do they "dish it out" when they haven't had to take anything?

If I remember correctly, "Daddy Rebuild" has retired and his kids (and their friends/family) are running the place. When this usually happens (transfer of a successful company to offspring)... attitude is what becomes the ultimate downfall of the company.

I will tell you something though... I am always hesitant - right before calling them. It shouldn't be that way. There's a lot of competition out there and I'm surprised that the Dr. Rebuild staff acts as if
they got-you-by-the-*****. :nono:
The following users liked this post:
patg84 (04-10-2020)
Old 08-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (Mike Mercury)

I don't think the attitude started when daddy retired. I think it was there all along. Customers shouldn't have to put up with attitude problems when the vendor is the one who needs the customer, not the other way around. I personally like Zips and Mid America. I really like Zip's detailed illustrations in their catalogs. That's why I order from them. ;):)

-Justin
Old 08-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (Dalannex)

:nonod:
Old 08-01-2003, 04:11 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

His site put me off. Why would you distract from your product by making disparaging remarks about your competitors like that ? He may have good stuff but rants say might be hard to deal with. be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them

Old 08-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

One word of advice, don't get him angry at you.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/Mouse-Humpers.html
I think nearly everyone of the people on his Mouse-Humpers list is a Corvette Forum member.
BTW, he looks on here from time to time so watch what you say about him or his products, he is very sensitive to any perceived negative criticism.
I'm not making any excuses for him, but running a business and dealing with customers day in and day out, probably isn't the easiest thing to do.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:42 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them (adamdinat)

Have used them many times - no problems. They have a good catalog and were prompt at getting me my order. If something is not in stock THEY TELL YOU, some other vendors string you along.

I know my part numbers/what I want to order before I call.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although most of the Corvette Forum internet is interesting, some that I have personally experienced is absolutely disgusting, profane and morally repugnant. And I cannot help but agree with Mr. Smokehouse when he points out that fact that they are all of those mouse humpers are current or former members of this exact particular chat room. There was even one that wrote me a repulsive perverted email about my dead mother. I have had my share of those CF anonymous dirt bags, although they are certainly a small minority.

Suffice to say, I never tolerate false statements and am willing to stand behind my integrity with my wallet, unlike many others. For nearly three decades we have supplied 1000’s of repro’s, not attitude. You will have to shop elsewhere for that. :D

I would be both remiss and a braggarts if I said that when I began in the Corvette business many here had not yet even driven, let alone owned a Corvette. We were making C3 repro parts, while GM was still making C3’s.

I stand with my checkbook, behind any statement I make, ready and willing for any challenge. But if you tell the truth, that challenge never arises.

As Aaaaaaaaarnalds says, “Hasta La Vista Baby”. Now I just get to play with my real Corvettes while you toil. :D http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=618011

I thank the many hundred thousand for their loyal support. If you don’t have a good product, it doesn’t matter how much attitude is served.

Geoffrey Coenen

PS

Mr Jay M

I checked our database and see only one single order from Mr Jay M, not a couple of times. However, my database is always one day old and I will not be able to examine today’s orders in the event that is a factor in your order history.

Our telephone company offer automatic anonymous call rejection. It automatically blocks unidentified callers. We find it help control unwanted tele-marketers, assists in identifying and preventing credit card fraud and eliminates crank callers.

I regret the vacuum hose kit was good but not perfect in your view. Personally, I think you were lucky in that purchase as there is much worse available in the marketplace. If we had known your requirements, I would have mentioned that we essentially sell mass produced auto parts, and make no representations about them being perfect. Albeit many others consider their quality to be fine, but I regret we do not have perfect parts, only mass produced reproductions and current GM. My advice to those in search of exact duplicates is to only use original parts from old Corvettes.

The grommets you mentioned are puzzling. I only see TWO grommets being shipped and neither of them has ever presented a fit, form or function problem. Both of these two grommets you ordered have been in our catalogs and sold for literally decades. Neither is a new part, just added to stock and of unknown quality or measure. And neither has ever had any problem.

The first grommet is the 1968-1974 firewall 4 port grommet. This is one of the parts has been so popular that it has sold literally thousand of pieces. This is not a shred of doubt in my mind that this piece fits, functions and even looks like the original GM part. What you may not realize that is the different ports are only slit when used and that is how the transversing items are passed. You do not actually slide the wires or oil line through the holes.

The other grommet was a NOS GM speedometer cable grommet with 3 metal tabs embedded in the rubber. I know this part is totally authentic and fits properly also. I have even used these items on my own cars.

Unless these two grommets both had some manufacturing defect there is no reason they would not work properly – unless you do not know how to get the speedometer cable through the hole or how to get the oil line and wire harnesses through the holes in the other. In my current databases, I have a track record of sales for these 2 items that goes back to 1992. Knowing their market success can only make me think your car is the exception to the norm or you simply are inexperienced and do not know how to properly install these 2 grommets. I always suggest the purchase of these 3 appropriate manuals when functioning as an auto mechanic. The factory Assembly Instruction Manual, the Helm factory Workshop Manual and a factory part manual.

When I actually worked and answered the phones, I always asked for the part number being discussed as it made sure we were both on the same page.
The following users liked this post:
drd1vette (03-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Dr Rebuild, anyone buy from them