C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 PM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake replacement

How many parts are required for a parking brake replacement on a 74. Approximate cost? Ecklers has a Master Parking Brake kit for $170. Does that cover it all? How much time under the car am I looking at to do it or is better to go to Joe mechanic and have it done. This is the only thing needed on a nice car at a good price but I am hesitant without knowing how much it entails.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:34 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Parking brake replacement (canada74)

This is one of those jobs where one thing leads to another. The calipers and rotors need to come off. There is a lot of fishing to get the parts in and out. If you are mechanically inclined you should have no problem with it. Have you worked on drum brakes before?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:55 PM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Default Re: Parking brake replacement (adamdinat)

I'm relatively mechanical and by that I mean I have a father-in-law who has a garage with lift that I can use. I have never worked on brakes before but am a little worried at missing a deal that I shouldn't. Any idea on the part count and cost? I think the guy who looked at it mentioned the rotors being cracked as well. Is that rotor completely seperate from the other brakes? I'm a complete novice but willing to learn.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:19 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Here's a link that may help ... http://zip-corvette.com/techarticles/pb/pb.htm

There's another very good link out there, but I can't find it.

Anyway, it was a tough job for me, but I had a difficult time with the shoe retaining spring. The other article I was looking for had a good "tip" about using dental floss or string to compress that spring during assembly. I didn't know about that tip when I replaced my e-brakes :rolleyes: Ask about it later if it doesn't make sense now.

I bought ZIP's stainless kit, but some people don't like using the stainless shoes.

The rear rotor is a dual rotor/drum design. I've never heard of one splitting, but there's lots of things I've never heard of. The only other wrinkle there is that, if they've never been removed, you'll have to drill out the rivets. New rivets aren't required for reassembly though.

Hope this helps.

[Modified by jerryp58, 6:20 AM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 AM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Default Re: Parking brake replacement (jerryp58)

Thanks for the info and links. I will read them and let you know what I decide to do.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:00 AM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

After talking to Eckler's I now think it is the backing plate that is cracked. They don't have them but ZIP does. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine a while back. What started as a front parking brake cable replacement turned into an entire system addition. The only thing I had past the front cable was, well, nothing. It's not a hard job, just tedious. Do a search in the archives on my username or pbrake or parking brake or p-brake. All of those will give you more info than you want about C3 p-brakes. Feel free to post questions here or via email. I can even get you some pics if you need em. Good luck.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-01-2003, 09:41 AM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Parking brake replacement (Brettmc)

I'm looking at the same project.... except I think I'm going to get Mid-Americas master kit. I've heard some bad things about Ecklers..

Do you have a pic of the p-brake assembly with the rotor off? I'm curious about the sprinf layout?

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Default Re: Parking brake replacement (69Rat)

No pics as I haven't started the project yet. Mid America's kit is currently out of stock but ZIP has one for $14 more. Both Zip and Mid include a new pulley and bearing which Eckler's doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake replacement

Quick Reply: Parking brake replacement