C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 Tachometer Prob

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:49 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 Tachometer Prob

I just bought a great '75; all the gauges even work, except for the tach, which spins BACKWARDS! It worked well untilk the previous owner's last visit to the shop for brakes and some misc.

I assume this is an electronically driven tach? Could there be a plug reversed somewhere? Where would I start looking? Chilton's is no help.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:27 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: '75 Tachometer Prob (HDFLH67)

I don't think you can reverse wires and make it go backwards. If you wire it wrong it will just burn the circuit board. My guess is the circuit board has failed. You can get replacement circuit boards for $70 or so. Check ecklers, zip etc.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:47 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '75 Tachometer Prob (HDFLH67)

Welcome to the Forum!
I've never seen a tach run backwards either! Zwede has a good point about the circuit board. Check the ground circuit (blk wire from back of tach) while you're in there. Bad grounds on these cars tend to cause some wierd prob's. :crazy:
If I were testing it, I'd remove the tach, place it on a fender cover and hook up some jumper wires to double check things before purchasing new parts.
Good Luck -Rod :chevy
Old 08-01-2003, 10:41 AM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: '75 Tachometer Prob (ROD NOCK)

The tach on my 76 sits at zero until I start the car, then it pegs to the negitive! :crazy:

Greg :)

Get notified of new replies

To '75 Tachometer Prob

Quick Reply: '75 Tachometer Prob