C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 AM
WeasleVette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox?

I swear mine has been removed. I can't find it!!! HELP!!!!!!
Weasle :mad :cry
Old 07-31-2003, 11:56 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (WeasleVette454)

well, on my 1980 its on the inside of the car, under the dash, drivers side, above and to the left of where the drivers foot would be.

May not be the same for a 1971, but it's a very common location for Chevy fuse boxes.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:57 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Well... if it's not way up in the corner under your clutch pedal....take out your floor mat.... look above where you would expect your bright switch to be.... get your head down and up under the dash.... if it's not up there next to the side of the car.... then maybe somebody stole it! :lol: MJ
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (BSeery)

well, on my 1980 its on the inside of the car, under the dash, drivers side, above and to the left of where the drivers foot would be.
:iagree:
And I might add, it's a royal pain in the keister to change a fuse. You almost have to be a contortionist to even lay eyes on that fuse box!
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (BSeery)

Should sit right above your left foot if you are in the driving seat.halfway under the dash.. :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 01:38 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (BB wowbagger)

It is in the same place on a 70. On the left firewall above the dimmer switch. It is a real PITA to get to.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (BUGGSY1970)

PITA, for sure!!! :mad
Old 08-01-2003, 09:55 AM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (Freepop)

I had to replace the dang blinker relay on the top of the fusebox in the 81 with a higher voltage one(basically the hazard one) due to installing the two extra harnesses with the bubble light kit, so I reached up there, felt around and pulled her out and then spent an hour feeling my way to getting the new one in. Only one problem, I pulled the @!#$@!# hazard and replaced it with the exact same thing! Maybe if I were vertically challenged I could lie in there and look up in, but I am 6'3" and build like a lineman for the Steelers, there is no way I can get up in there with the seat in. I say every year I am going to fix the fast blinkers with the new relay, but I have yet to do it.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:15 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (tersian)

I had to replace the dang blinker relay on the top of the fusebox in the 81 with a higher voltage one(basically the hazard one) due to installing the two extra harnesses with the bubble light kit, so I reached up there, felt around and pulled her out and then spent an hour feeling my way to getting the new one in. Only one problem, I pulled the @!#$@!# hazard and replaced it with the exact same thing! Maybe if I were vertically challenged I could lie in there and look up in, but I am 6'3" and build like a lineman for the Steelers, there is no way I can get up in there with the seat in. I say every year I am going to fix the fast blinkers with the new relay, but I have yet to do it.
I know the feeling. This year I am yanking the seats out so I can mount the computer for my fuel injection. I don't think there is any real way you can get under that dash with the seats in the car. Steering wheel is going to go too.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:29 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Yes, this is lots of fun. Why they put it in such an awkward spot is beyond me. Best way to reach it is open the door and kneel on the ground on some sort of cushion (your knees will quickly get sore), lean in so you can practically kiss your clutch/brake pedal, then look up and to the left. Then to replace fuses, you have to be gentle or you can break the fuse (assuming like most of us, you don't use a fuse puller, but just pry it out). A flashlight angled up by the gas pedal will give you illumination. I used a worklight once, never again as now I know how the "Kenner easy bake oven" works!! :lol:
Old 08-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (68shark)

It's not in the trunk? :confused:
Old 08-03-2003, 05:41 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (bgrice)

many vettes came with a factory trap door on the drivers floorboard for easier access.

okay i can't back that up. :withstupid:
Old 08-03-2003, 09:48 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (bgrice)

For decades throughout the entire GM line, the standard location for any fuses was in that block just behind the firewall bulkhead connector for engine and lighting harness, really short wired from the connector to the fuse block, and used the same bolts to hold it in place.....in a vette that main location was NOT CHANGED untill the C4 came out, then it was in an access panel on the right side door jamb...and the fuse style was updated also at the same time.....

a frequent failure on the fuse blocks has proven to be RUST /corrosion on the fuse clips themselves, and on the higher steady drain fuses this causes overheating and melting the internal solder of the fuse, and repeated failures....try tiney wire ET brush to burnish the metal contacts,and tighten them slightly,....maybe that can help, IF the heat has not gotten to the structure of the panel itself......been there seen that, PIA>......

frankly, I feel going to a parts house and buying a whole bunch of inline late model spade fuse holders, and cutting the damn thing out, replacing with appropriate fuse and tagging them for purpose is a valid solution....
otherwise it's replace the entire interior wiring harness.....a super PIA....

as these cars have gotten older, the long term electrical reliability requirements greatly exceed the design considerations ever considered by the engineering teams.....and electricals suffer from corrosion just as badly as any steel....

and what you get is fires, intermittants, fuses blowing for 'no reason', and the like....have FUN!!!

GENE
Old 08-03-2003, 10:12 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox? (mrvette)

68 Shark, don't you mean the Corvette EZ Bake oven? :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox?

Quick Reply: Laugh later, right now...where's the @*%$ fusebox?