C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe to Convertible Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe to Convertible Conversion

Anyone done this? Anybody know of a good shop that can handle this.
I want a convertible. Problem is, I like my 81 (we've been through alot together) the way it is, only wishing it could go "Topless" once and a while.
Not to mention, I love the styling & interior of the Rubber Bumber cars.

How much would this cost, how long would it take, and is it worth it?

I'm suprised that the "Big 3" Vendors don't offer a conversion kit for sale that would include everthing you need, with a little break on cost.
Seems to me, they'd sell alot of them.
:steering:
Old 07-31-2003, 09:21 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (CORVETTE CRAIG)

Just my .02....but I think I'd sell what sounds like a real nice '81 and look for a reasonably priced 'vert. I think it's cheaper overall and the car you buy would have value because it really is what it is. I think taking a non vert and making it into one destroys whatever value the car has. Let's face it....most of us have no plans to sell, but we take comfort in knowing our cars are either holding their value or hopefully, appreciating. '74's are probably the most reasonably priced (compared to earlier years and "end of convertible" year of '75) and have no catalytic convertor to deal with and the rubber bumper look you prefer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 09:24 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (68shark)

:iagree:
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone here had a conversion done on a black '80 - '82 and it looked sharp. It would take more than just a kit however as I am sure some significant bodywork is involved, not to mention a donor convertible. If you want a convertible and are willing to forsake your '81 - I too would suggest just trading for a convertible instead.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:17 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll end up pouring lots of cash into this conversion, and in the end you'll have a car that's worth considerably less than it was before the conversion. Keep the '81 and buy a 'vert to keep it company :D

Shannon
Old 07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

:iagree: with all the above.

Although I did not do the conversion on the '74 that I own it has it's quirks. If you have a really nice vette don't chop it up. The '74 I bought had major frame rot back in the late 80's(Coburg,Ontario vette on one of the Great Lakes), so when the previous owner replaced the frame he converted it with all GM glass. Nice looking vette and you would never know the difference except for the VIN says it is a coupe. Doesn't matter to me as I have this thing seriously hopped up and will be on the drag strip.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:21 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (bgrice)

I am going to disagree.

I love the styling of an 80-82 vert. It is going to take several thousand dollars and many many many many hours of work, but if you do it all yourself, you will have an awesome car that you can be proud of.

Your best bet would be to buy a wrecked 74 (because of the price) or any 70-75 convertible with front end damage. Canibalize the parts you need, and cut, chop and swap to your 81. In the end I think you will be happy.

Remember, it is your car and you can do whatever you want to it.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:11 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (70 LS1)

I would go the other direction, instead of transferring parts to the 81 i would find a 74 in not too bad condition and then an 80-82 donor car and put the 80 style bumpers and interior on the 74
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (battsup)

Sure. If you want to do it the easy way. :lol:

It all depends on how attached to your specific 81 you are.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:30 PM
aharte
Drifting

I would go the other direction, instead of transferring parts to the 81 i would find a 74 in not too bad condition and then an 80-82 donor car and put the 80 style bumpers and interior on the 74
That's more or less what the previous owner did to my car. The receipts were not pretty (and I think he did it himself), but everything fits perfectly.

I think it would raise the value of the car. Many people like convertibles, and some prefer the 80-82 body... Someone wouldn't have much of a selection if they wanted that.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:37 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (aharte)

Keep the car and look for a convertible also. Then you get the best of both worlds!

-Rick
Old 07-31-2003, 03:45 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Coupe to Convertible Conversion (aharte)

Yes but aharte the reason your car cost so much to build is because the owner went all out with the l88 hood, lt body panels, rims and all the countless mdoification s you have listed on your website. If you can find a 74/75 vert that isnt in bad condition you can replace the front and rear bumpers with new ones from a vendor. I wouldnt change the dash as i like it better than the 78-82 version and then you just put some aftermarket seats in it. So after the initial cost of buying the 74 or 75 vert you will spend about a maximum of $500 on bumpers and about another $700 on seats. So for $1200 plus what you paid for the car you will have a very unique car.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:47 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 80-82 pop up occasionally on ebay that have been converted.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:51 PM
aharte
Drifting

I actually forgot to include the most relevant bit of information about my car :crazy: . It was originally a 74 coupe, so the vert conversion was done, and then the other stuff was added on. Starting with a vert is obviously much cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe to Convertible Conversion

Quick Reply: Coupe to Convertible Conversion