C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really want my Hydroboost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:23 AM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I really want my Hydroboost!!!

Someone, please join the group purchase! Today is the last day! We just need one...

Please, please, please?

Puh-puh-puh-ppleeeeeaaze, Eddie, ppleaze?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:12 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (rainman69)

If i lived in the States ,i would be all over that deal. :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 07-31-2003, 05:34 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You buy it and I'll take one :D
Old 07-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (BB wowbagger)

If i lived in the States ,i would be all over that deal. :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:
They have them here too, just go to the wreckers and find a diesel truck and it'll probably be on there. I have 2, one with and one without a N2 reserve canister
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Twin Turbo. They are cheap in the wrecking yard, $50 canadian for a unit in perfect condition and with only minor mods bolts right into the stock corvette firewall. Even the holes are already drilled. You do need a few lines made up but for a hose company to make all the lines cost me less then $100 CDN. And we all know if it cost $100 CDN that is about $50 American.
When I started pushing these units I did it to help the average joe get a cheap reliable powerful unit.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:10 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (norvalwilhelm)

What is a hydroboost??
Old 07-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (Pauld)

A hydraulic brake booster to replace your vacuum one, runs off power steering pump. it's the unit in this pic (left side, right is 85+ master cylinder)
Old 07-31-2003, 01:15 PM
rainman69
Drifting

I figure I could pick up the parts and get the hoses made cheaper than a new Level III from Hydroboost.com, but I also figure I'm paying for the customer support.

Anyway, we made the minimums across the three BBS's, so I'll be getting it. :party:
Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (Twin_Turbo)

Twin turbo: by diesel truck do you mean like a 1/2 ton pickup or do you mean a big rig?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (battsup)

Any of the diesel vans or 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton trucks work. I have had units as old as 82, also a 94 and even some of the 2000's are the same.
The plate that mounts to the firewall also fits our vets. I rotate the unit 180 degrees on the plate to get the hoses comming out the bottom. The 4 stucs that come with the unit fit in our firewalls and make future removal easy.
You need 2 high pressure feed lines and any low pressure return hose. For those that don't /can't afford the kits, go to the wreckers and get the same thing.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:01 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Oh boy A fights a brewin! this is like saying hey you want your Hamburgers to tast liek Jack and the boxes??? well go get the fattiest meat, then get some ranch and extra mayo mix it up to make the specail sause. :)

I'm Goin Junk yard shopping.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:02 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (WashingtonRacer)

I'm Goin Junk yard shopping.
so am i :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

I have touch tapping brakes on my 76, is it worth it. Does it work better than a normal vacum fed system.

MAtt
Old 08-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (pillowmeto)

the hydrobooster is far more powerful than the stock vacuum booster. It will really improve your braking system.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Let me tell you my experience with a hydroboost unit. I ordered one from Paul when he had a group purchase around the first of the year. I called Paul and told him what I wanted to do to my unit when I got it. I wanted to take it appart and chrome plate it. I am from the old school and most everything in my engine compartment is chrome plated. When I took the unit appart I knew I would be in trouble after the unit came back from the platers. It is fairly complex and requires some special tools. Without Paul's assistance I would have had a lot of problems getting it back together.

Now lets say you go to the salvage yard and buy one. You have no idea what you are buying. I don't want anything especially in my brake system that I have to worry about or take off right away and rebuild or even replace. I have worked on cars for 40 years and I have rebuild almost everything; I restored Jaguars for about 25 years. I would not want to rebuild one of those units. I would want a professional to work on it.

When I hit my brakes I want them to perform at 100% not at 40% because I bought something at a salvage yard that was worn out.

I have a 90 coupe that I road race. It has dual calipers per wheel and all kinds of other mods to the brake system. It doesn't stop near as well as a stock C3 system with a hydroboost unit added.

I was on a very fun "Corvette road" a few weeks ago in my C3 and an 18 wheeler pulled out in front of me and left me no where to go. With the hydroboost unit I was able to stop with some room to spare. If I would not have had the hydroboost unit or if I would have been in my C4, I would not have been able to stop in time. When you are in a situation like that, you sure don't want to worry about a part from a salvage yard failing you.

If you want to save money or your car, save it on a carpet kit or on leather seat covers, etc. Don't try to cut corners on the brake system.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:17 AM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (Arkansas Flash)

:iagree: :iagree:

Safty first!!

I just ordered mine yesterday! :thumbs:
Old 08-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (69Rat)

everyone's gotta do what he wants, guess I'm just a miser.

Get notified of new replies

To I really want my Hydroboost!!!

Old 08-01-2003, 06:57 PM
vette_net
Intermediate

Why not visit your locak Junk Yard They seem to be in every GM Van. My local Junk Yard will gurantee the part for 3 monts and they only cost $125 CND.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:12 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (vette_net)

One of these days I'm going to get one. Let me tell you about my junkyard experience. About 2 years ago Brutus was here visiting and we went in search for one of those units at all the local junk yards, JUNK was what we found too, for a rusty POS they all wanted close to $200 if I remember right, no guarantee if it was even salvageable. Screw that, 200 bucks for a pile of rusty crap, I'll get a new one and save myself a lot of hassle. If you find a good one in a junk yard great, but being in Florida I expected a little better than the rusty heaps we saw. I've been in one car that had brake failure and I don't ever want to do that again. Just my 2c
Old 08-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I really want my Hydroboost!!! (C3 Shark Tank)

One of these days I'm going to get one. Let me tell you about my junkyard experience. About 2 years ago Brutus was here visiting and we went in search for one of those units at all the local junk yards, JUNK was what we found too, for a rusty POS they all wanted close to $200 if I remember right, no guarantee if it was even salvageable.
....and $1.00 to get into the junk yard too! :eek: I'm surprised they didn't try to charge us to get out again as well.

Quick Reply: I really want my Hydroboost!!!