C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Top cracks....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:54 AM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Top cracks....

Arg! I'm so pissed heh. I just went out to put my T-Tops on to notice that in the passenger T-Top, in the front left corner there's about 4-5 cracks coming out from the corner. Maybe 4 inches long each. It looks bad...is there anything I can do? Will I have to get a whole new T-Top? Where can I buy them?

They are mirrored ttops btw.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:50 AM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: T-Top cracks.... (SicChild)

damn, i just sold mine.!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:26 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: T-Top cracks.... (LATNC3)

anyone...? heh
Old 07-31-2003, 12:58 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glass or fiberglass?
I bought my car with a nasty crack on the driver's top. I have the blue 1192 glass which is no longer made. It looks like someone dropped it on the inside corner, above the centerline of the car.

The crack has progressed in an "S" shaped path toward the center of the top. That side leaks a little when it rains VERY hard, but it doesn't come through the crack but rather it might be from worn seals.

I called the company formerly know as Saratoga tops and spoke with the owner. He told me to just drive it like that until I've spent money on anything else I want to change or fix. Unless I was a NCRS member, not to worry about it.

There are several supporting sponsors you can either order new ones from, or get yours repaired. Zip is one of them. Sometimes you can find them for sale on Ebay too.

[Modified by isosceles, 11:59 AM 7/31/2003]
Old 07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Check the parts for sale section here or look on ebay, you might get lucky. Otherwise you will have to buy one new and they aren't cheap.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:20 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: T-Top cracks.... (77Dream)

Thanks for the info guys. This sucks. I really can't afford this right now.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:21 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: T-Top cracks.... (isosceles)

The glass ones crack - plain and simple. If the owner does not do it, a rock chip will or they will crack from things like hard cornering or a little flexing.

My best recommendation to those that have rare glass tops that are still in good shape is to leave them at home, stored away for the car shows. For daily driving I use the acrylic replacement tops from Thompson Astro tops (and not that 1 piece version). They take the stock frames and put in acrylic instead. That won't crack, it's very light weight and very durable. Any scratches can be buffed out. The fit better than my originals and they lock down the same as stock tops because they are. My alarm pins still work too, something that would not work with the 1 piece top.

If yours have already cracked, send them in and get them replaced with acrylic.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:32 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no cheap fix. I have a broken corner on mine. I bubbaed it wth some heavy duty clear packing tape to keep the pieces in place. I need the money to fix other things first. I put them in mostly when I wash the car. If you are going to handle them a lot then the lexan type versions are good advice.

Get notified of new replies

To T-Top cracks....

Quick Reply: T-Top cracks....