C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Party(Houston)... HELP!

Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Starter Party(Houston)... HELP!

To those in the Houston area....

I've been on hold on cranking up the new AR 355 engine in my '74 because I can't figure out the starter problems I have. It engages the flexplate, but no matter what shimming I do the bendix will not release. This project has been sitting way too long in my garage.... I want it running.... and I absolutely trust no mechanic shop in the Pearland area. If any of you in the Houston area know anything about engines and the works I invite you to my house to attempt to get this thing going. There may be other issues as I have changed from the stock engine to a 427HP engine with MSD ignition/MSD HEI. It would be fun meeting some of the members.... and of course solve the starting of this engine.

The Party
1) Either next weekend or the one after.
2) Bring your best knowledge & expect it to be hot. If you have an extra mini-starter to try bring it along. A full-fledged starter will not work due to clearance problems.
3) Lunch at Central BBQ in Pearland. Good stuff! My treat!
4) Refreshments(Water, Gatorade, Coke, etc)
5) Case of beer of your choice to take away(I don't believe in drinking & driving)

Any takers? If the Forum gets the Corvette Challenge going for Houston I really do not want to misuse the '71 vette I just got. The '74 was intended to be that fun.
3)
Old 07-31-2003, 08:43 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (bgrice)

Barry, I'll bring my mini starter.....but it has a 69 corvette attached to it. :rofl: :lolg:

Sounds like fun though. I'm not sure if I can help too much but I'll try.

You might also try posting this in the Southwest section if you haven't already.

:cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 10:50 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Youre talking about the pinion not scooting back into its resting place after you crank it over right? Its staying meshed with the flywheel after starting?
If this is the case, I've been told its common. Powermaster told me this would happen with my Mini Starter.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (Stewart's74)

We put one in my buddies C-4 last night took all of 25 minutes.Then we :cheers: :cheers: :party:
Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Barry, I assume you have taken it off and put it back on a time or two??? I had the opposite problem with mine at first. It started up nicely a time or two and then it wouldn't go far enough to engage....would make that horrible grinding noise and then get stuck and not turn over at all. I just unbolted it and then bolted it back up and no problems since.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:40 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Youre talking about the pinion not scooting back into its resting place after you crank it over right? Its staying meshed with the flywheel after starting?
If this is the case, I've been told its common. Powermaster told me this would happen with my Mini Starter.
Stewart,

You are correct. I have not attempted to actually start the engine yet as I was attempting to get the starter to dissengage first. I can spin it over a turn or two and when I get back under the car the pinion gears on the starter are still solidly engaged with the flex plate. I can loosen the starter and shake it a bit and the pinion finally lets loose. No grinding... and about 2/3's engagement on the flex plate. I really did not want to put the plugs in and prime up the carb with gas until I had this figured out as I didn't want to flood the new engine with a ton of gas.

Travis,

What is the make and model of your mini-starter? Hell... I'm just fishing now.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:48 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Travis,

What is the make and model of your mini-starter? Hell... I'm just fishing now.
Crap, I'm going off memory now, I think it's a CVR. Not sure what model.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (tshort)

Obviously you aren't doing anything at work right now, so get off your butt and go get under the vette. :lol:
Old 07-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (tshort)

It's a Powermaster PWM9200 from Summit.
Here's what to do. With the pinion engaged in flywheel, use a paperclip to determine how much engagement there is between the pinion and flywheel.
If you can fit a standard paperclip between the teeth of the pinion and the "V" in the flywheel you are OK. If a paperclip wont fit, then there is too much contact. Shim inboard bolt to create more distance.
Dont worry about the pinion retracting. As I said earlier.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:39 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Obviously you aren't doing anything at work right now, so get off your butt and go get under the vette. :lol:
I'm "multi-tasking" :lol:
Old 07-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Stewart,

I did the paperclip thing before the engine was ever installed in the car with a CVR starter. Plenty of clearance, but stick a remote starter on it & turn the engine over and the pinion stuck on that one too. Maybe a whole load of centrifigal force(like really starting an engine) is needed and it actually makes alot of sense. Being... after the engine first starts it will take the inertia away from the starter gear and thus it can easily retract. In theory it sounds good anyway. I'll get this one with clearance this weekend and do all of the initial start-up things I need to do(pre-oil/prime engine, distilled water in radiator, plugs and pre-set the timing) and attempt to start this thing up the following Saturday.

I still need a couple of stooges(forum members) to help out. Three Stooges are better than one when figuring things out.

Travis,

"Multi-tasking" my butt! You were testing the network connectivity to make sure all the other users could surf E-bay. Our company just recently blocked E-bay Motors, but not E-bay itself. So much for sniping rare '70 LT-1's with A/C. :lol:
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Schwee
Instructor

"Maybe a whole load of centrifigal force(like really starting an engine) is needed and it actually makes alot of sense. Being... after the engine first starts it will take the inertia away from the starter gear and thus it can easily retract.
Easy to check. Crank it (get it stuck). Put it in gear and rock it backward (take the brake off). The starter should click back in place.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (Schwee)

Schwee....

It sounds almost too simple, but willing to try it. I can tell you that I did engage the starter gear and attempted to turn the crank from the front with a socket and wrench to take the pressure off and no luck. I beat myself over the head daily for not installing the old flexplate on the engine when I had these problems in the first place just to test it out. Who knows if I might have a bad/warped flexplate and I might not be going through this. I really don't feel like pulling the tranny or engine to disprove that one.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Remember, you can put a flexplate on backwards too. Dont ask. :rolleyes:
Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Don't think I haven't thought about that numerous times and looked... and relooked.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Blue68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

bgrice,
If you are working on it this weekend (Aug. 2,3) then I can stop by and be a Stooge. I might even be able to find another stooge if you need more help. :yesnod: Send me an email telling me when and where.

wayne h.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:23 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (Blue68)

same here. I can help out tomorrow. Just email me
travisshort hotmail.com
Old 08-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP! (Blue68)

Wayne-Travis,

I just sent you all e-mail. Just in case you don't get it... or if anyone else wants to stop by tomorrow afternoon here's what I sent.

(Start)
Thanks for the offer. I'm not really sure what time I can get to the vette tomorrow as I might have to come into work tomorrow morning to run a bunch of reports for Monday since our IT group shut us(the rest of the world) down today to bring all of our Canadian operations online with our new computer system. I will be messing with the vette just about all tomorrow afternoon if you have time to stop by and look over what I have done so far and maybe figure out where I am going wrong on the starter.

My home e-mail: bgrice@houston.rr.com
My home Ph# 281-997-8990

Directions to my house:

Wayne:

I live in Woodcreek Subdivision. Hwy 518 east until two lights before Dixie Farm Rd. Take a left on Woodcreek Dr. Go one block and turn left on Timber Creek Dr. Half way down the block on the right is my house(1921 Timber Creek Dr). A blue '86 Ford Pickup will be out front and the vettes in the garage.

Travis:

Probably the easiest way is to go south on I-45(Gulf Freeway) to the Dixie Farm Rd. exit. Get on the feeder road and right on Dixie Farm Rd. Go 3 lights(about 2-3 miles) to Hwy 518(Chevron, Exxon, Texaco, Jack-in-the Box, Walmart all at that corner). Turn right and go 2 lights(not more than 1/4 mile). Turn right on Woodcreek Drive. One block and left on Timber Creek Dr. Same info as above to my house.

Anytime noonish or afterwards is best. If you can't make it the offer is still appreciated. By the way... if you e-mail a response send it to my home e-mail.

Barry
(End)

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Party(Houston)... HELP!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Party(Houston)... HELP!