C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 08:28 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette.

I came home from work today and thought I would take the vette to get some gas since I'm planning on being in a car show this weekend. Well I drove down to the gas station and pulled in to one of the pumps. The attendant said that the pump wasn't working and asked me to back up to the previous one. I did this but the car was a little crooked. Anyway I got out and filled the car (never let them touch your car) and when I was done paid the guy and got back in the car. As I was starting the car this guy (and I use the word very loosely) pulls in front of me (at the bad pump) with a clapped out Plymouth K-car something or other and stops within 2 inches of my front bumper. I was wondering if the hat he had on sideways had effected his higher reasoning. So I put the car in reverse and started to back up. I then heard the most sickening crunch. I didn't know old guys like me had reflexes that fast. I stopped but didn't get out of the car. I waved to lumpy in the car in front of me to back up to which I got this vacant look. I could tell the synapses weren't quite sparking so I waved him back again. Finally the attendant told him to back up because the pump was bad and I had to get out. As I pulled away I saw the large concrete filled pipe at the end of the island that I had backed up into. All the way home I had visions of the back bumper (fiberglass) hanging off in pieces and the fender shattered. I got home and didn't want to get out of the car but finally I did. I looked with one eye at the back and didn't see any damage. After looking closely I saw a scuff mark on the fender lip just after the rear wheel. It had only rubbed up against the pipe and had not damaged the body at all. It didn't even chip the paint. I guess the flexing of the fender probably saved it and probably is what caused all the noise. I got out some compound and swirl remover and in about 15 minutes the mark was invisible. Then I sat down until my hands stopped shaking and the adrenalin stopped pumping. I guess the Big Guy was looking out for me today because it could have been a lot worse. Just had to share this with you guys.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (vettfixr)

Glad to hear it all buffed out. Onward soldier!!! :cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 08:47 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (Jvette73)

Oh that coulda hurt! :leaving:
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (vettfixr)

I backed into a wall in the parking structure!

One hell of a lot of noise, that was. But ZERO damage.

-Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 09:18 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

yup! I'd say that was a blessing! You're recognition of that fact is good, otherwise, I'll bet it would have gone the other way and your Vette would have sustained damage.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:34 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (isosceles)

gawd ..... I was sweatin' just reading that. glad all is well.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:49 AM
80Xflags
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I was sweatin' bullets just reading that too. When I read about lumpy and his carbon-fouled synapses and the K-car, I thought you were doomed for the classic hit in the nose. Good thing that wasn't the case and you were able to just buff out the scuff. :blueangel: :hurray:
Old 07-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Kenzy
Racer

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (80Xflags)

Glad to hear there was no damage, I hope you had a cold one or five. :cheers:
Old 07-31-2003, 02:04 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (Kenzy)

Yeah glad there was no damage!
Man that was a good story had my heart going!

some people are stupid!
I had some girl do that a few years ago in a sunfire but she hit my 87 and jacked the nose up!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

So you had a hard pole hit your rear end, so to finish it off you rubbed one out.

Sweet.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:24 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew you guys would appreciate the story. Whew, close call. I said to my wife that if I dropped over $50K for a new C5 I'd probably be a nervous wreck all the time trying to use it as a daily driver. Anyway, last night I finished polishing off the engine compartment so, weather permitting, it's showtime Sunday. :thumbs:
Old 07-31-2003, 11:44 AM
SAC
Instructor

Default Re: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette. (Steve Straus)

So you had a hard pole hit your rear end, so to finish it off you rubbed one out.
:lol: Whoa...thought I logged into the wrong forum there for a second.

That was close. Glad it worked out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette.

Quick Reply: I almost had a coronary today. Thought I wrecked the vette.