C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C advice (motor out)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default A/C advice (motor out)

OK, this week-end my motor is coming out to go to the rebuilders. While it's out I'm going to do bushings and ball joints, and now I'm wondering about my A/C. The air conditioning has not worked since I got the car (March 02). My question is, if I install a new compressor, condenser, drier, and hose assembly. And flush out the remaining items (is the evaporator in the "box" on the right hand side, aft engine bay?), will I be safe to charge with R-134? Or do I need to change all components and also change the seals on the new stuff to R-134 compatible? From the looks of everything I don't think the A/C system has work in years. I know lots of you guys have been down this road before me and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, augie
Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C advice (Augie 79)

You don't need to replace the condensor. But you need to check that both the condensor and evaporator hold vacuum (i.e., there are no leaks). Replace everything else if these units are still OK.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:25 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent time to upgrade to a Vintage Air system. You can porbably sell off the old parts to help pay for a new system.

Reports indicate that the replacemenmt AC system outperform the factory systems by a huge margin.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:29 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor

I just replaced most of my A/C in my 79. I replaced the metal high side line with a rubber one. I charged it 134 with no problems at all and it is cooling well. Like the post above said I wouldnt replace them, just vaccum test the lines. What ever you do don't forget to replace the orrifice tube.
I was able to get most of the parts from autozone. They even had the main compressor hose. I had the high side hose made at a part store.
I think the whole thing took me 350 bucks to rebuild and it works great now.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Default Re: A/C advice (dsagers)

I did a search in the archive on a/c topics and read some on vintage air. Vintage air got mixed results, once it was in everybody liked it. But the install is not a good fit and requires cutting and re-fiberglassing. I just want to stick with stock components I think.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just completing the vintage air setup, but I agree with above.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with Hot Rod air. I just received their new catalog and they have a direct swap kit for $1000 complete. I just couldn't find anyone that had used it to verify the quality.

Having made many fabrications to the firewall and tranny tunnel as well as getting the hoses to fit I could have spent less time and money by going with their setup. :yesnod:
Old 07-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A/C advice (phoenix)

While you have the motor out replace the blower fan with one from a later Vette that has much more air flow.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:57 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: A/C advice (phoenix)

I am just completing the vintage air setup, but I agree with above.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with Hot Rod air. I just received their new catalog and they have a direct swap kit for $1000 complete. I just couldn't find anyone that had used it to verify the quality.

Having made many fabrications to the firewall and tranny tunnel as well as getting the hoses to fit I could have spent less time and money by going with their setup. :yesnod:
Do they have a website?

[Modified by SicChild, 3:58 PM 7/30/2003]
Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I'm having my system retrofitted to r134 as I type this. It's a reputable shop and they said that all my stock components should be fine. They are adding a high pressure switch though. It worked before, but was low on r12. I'll let you know how it all works tonight. It's 100+ degrees out today, so my drive home should be a good test.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Default Re: A/C advice (The_Dude)

This is great, thank you guys so much. I have heard that if the compressor goes bad it can contaminate the rest of the system with metal. Is it safe to try and flush parts I don't replace?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:49 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got hot rod airs catalog, it looks like a nice system. Thier website is

http://www.hotrodair.com

--marc
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: A/C advice (BigBadOrange)

I just got their catalog also and I'm really considering this. It looks like a nice system and from the specs it's only 8 1/4 inches tall. I know that's smaller than the stock unit because I've taken that bear out and it's huge.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

I just got my car back after converting to r134. They did have to replace the accumulator. The AC is colder than it was, but not as cold as the AC in my '99 pickup. Fortunately, we only get about 2-3 weeks a year of temperatures much over 90 degrees. :cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 09:17 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did my conversion on the 77 with the hot rod air kit. I found alot of junk inside my evaporator when I removed it. There were old leaves & debri that filled up more than 1/2 the space. no wonder it woudn't cool right and blow out compressors. If I were reusing the old stuff I would definatlety remove the evap for inspection. It would be a good time to test the components for leaks and much easier when out. The new system I have fits tightley under the dash on the pass side. It blows about 50 degrees in 90 deg temps but I feel that it can blow colder. The a/c guy only vac'd it out for 15 mins before charging it up . I will have it revaced and recharged soon. You can see some pis at http://www.msnusers.com/slpdaypics
Old 07-31-2003, 12:01 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Default Re: A/C advice (dogboy)

When I drove home yesterday afternoon (it was still 90 some degrees out), the AC was plenty cold. I was happy. The mechanics did find some junk in the system, but said they cleaned it out pretty well. They also said it was common in older systems, and it may need some attention down the road.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

I've heard that '77 and earlier A/C systems are less effective than the '78 and up Vettes. I have a rebuilt compressor, original evaporator and condensor, using R12. I can guarantee I get plenty of cold air. The car is nice and cool even on 100-degree days. No need for Vintage Air in my '79!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: A/C advice (page62)

If you retain your old system I would look at a sanden compressor upgrade. Compared to the A4 that was in the car the sanden runs very smooth & quiet. I can't believe the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C advice (motor out)

Quick Reply: A/C advice (motor out)