C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours?

ok guys, I need some input. This has happened since I bought it. It's in great shape, but it wanders at high speeds only (interstate). I completely rebuilt the front end, all new bushings, tie rods, idler arm, etc. Didn't help a bit. I know my rear end might need a rebuild too. The alignment shop said the rear is a "little" out. The bushings look ok, but not great. Could this be the culprit? Or the steering box? It is original too.

It happens worse when I change lanes and the road angle changes, and when I hit bumps, it wanders pretty bad. But somehow if I stay straight for a while and don't change lanes the wander will work itself out and go straight for a while. Wierd, huh?

I have heard of serveral 78 owners say that they had this same problem and they never could get it fixed. PLEASE HELP!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:07 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (Vader953)

I find all of these things affect hwy wandering:

Worn front suspension.
Worn rear suspension.
Worn steering box.
Worn idler arm.
And the thing that affected my 71 the most, too large of tires on the front. I was running 255/60's all around and the hwy wonder was dangerously terrible. Switched to 215/60's on the front, no more wondering
Old 07-30-2003, 01:20 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (LAvetteman)

My '78 also wanders, it has the original front & rear ends except for shocks & links. I just bought new 255's all around (had them on before). I hope it's Not the tires, if so, I'll live with it.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (mvftw)

Just a thought, but could it be the wheels are not balanced? The car working its way out of the wondering COULD be harmonics, but I don't think so, just figured I'd mention it anyhow. Improperly inflated tires; too much one side not enough the other etc. Wish I could help.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:26 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (LAvetteman)

How old are the tires? I have had that issue twice, once on a 88 vert and another on a 95 z28. Especially on rain grooves, the car wanted to follow the groves. Both had obviously worn tires. Replaced the rubber and the problem went away.

--marc
Old 07-30-2003, 01:34 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car had the same problem even after totally rebuilding the front end. I then rebuilt the steering box, same problem so I went back into the steering box and replaced the pitman bushings. That really helped.
Then I went for a very aggressive alignment. 5 degrees caster, -.75 camber and 1/8th toe in. I also run 265 x 50 x 15 front tires.
I have absolutely no wander when passing and even at 100 mph it is a one finger deal on the steering wheel.
I have worked alot on bump steer so going through severe dips has no effect either.
It takes work on the old vetts but it is duable.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:36 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the rag joint?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:42 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (rexx78)

Second time the Pitman arm was mentioned...did you replace the pitman arm when you rebuilt the front end?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (mvftw)

I know it's not the tires, they are inflated and balanced correctly. When I steer in the garage, I can't notice any play in the rag joint, so I think it's fine. I don't remember replacing the pitman arm. What and where is that?

So far I thinks it's the steering box being worn out or the rear end.

BTW, 255's came stock on my car in 78 (first year as an option). I know the size of tires is fine.

Any other ideas fellas?

Thanks a ton!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:03 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's not the tires, they are inflated and balanced correctly. When I steer in the garage, I can't notice any play in the rag joint, so I think it's fine. I don't remember replacing the pitman arm. What and where is that?
The pitman arm is the little arm that's attached to the ouput side of the steering box. I'm not much more help as I'm going through the same pains as you. I think my problem is the steering box and I have a rebuilt unit, but I don't have an engine in the car right now, so there's no way to tell for sure:D

[Modified by dath, 2:03 PM 7/30/2003]
Old 07-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (dath)

It might be the rear trailing arm bushings. If they are worn then the rear end will flex and try to steer the car, mainly during acceleration. I replaced mine on my 72 and it made a big difference.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (Milest)

Hate to brag but just returned from a 1300 road trip to Hershey PA from Myrtle Beach in 33,500 mile 78 with new tires and it performed flawlessly. I set the cruise at 70 on the interstates and drove...at times had to push to 80 but never noticed the first hint of wandering. Over past few years have rebuilt the power steering control valve, brakes, check all four corners for alignment (learning they are out), suspension solid blah blah blah.

BTW...anyone got a set of F51 shocks laying around unused?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (hunt4cleanair)

I had a little more wander then I liked after completing a complete rebuild a few years ago. What worked for me was tightening the lash on the steering box a little (loosen the nut on the top of the box, use a screwdriver and turn to teh right a 1/4 turn at a time and test - you don't want to go too far and it should have a tiny bit of play in it). That took the play out of the wheel and gave more control.

It also makes a difference if I run the tires with lower pressure. I like them around 28-30 for a comfortable ride and I also have regular shocks on the car (Monroe Sensatracs). For a tighter ride with even les wander I sometimes put the Gas shocks on and pump up the tires a bit.

:auto:
Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Good question!
great responsed thanks
mine wanders really bad on old asphalt roads too.
most of the suspension is still factory. Next spring Im scheduled to get the rear wheel bearings replace. Then Ill go from there.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:26 AM
Packy76
Instructor

Default Re: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours? (79Fever)

Replaced rag joint and problem went away, and even better replaced my 15 year old Cooper Cobra tires w/BF Goodridges T/A ..GREAT RIDE!

Get notified of new replies

To 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours?

Quick Reply: 78 SA Wandering at high speeds, does yours?