C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:50 AM
78RedShark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer

That's been my life the last month. It started a month ago when somehow my drivebelt (alternator to fan) came off...engine overheated...lucky I was close to home.

I proceeded to replace the drivebelt...everything seemed fine, until one day on the highway the belt came off again...many thanks to Superfast80 for helping me out! Anyways, we came to the conclusion that the pulley on the alternator is too narrow. So I replaced it with a wider pulley.

How should the belt rest in the alternator pulley? Should it stick out slightly, be flush, or sink into the pulley? The belt I bought now rests flush with the edges of the pulley walls. I hope that works.

Also, getting the power steering pump on is driving me bonkers :crazy: I can't seem to line up the bracket with the two bolts into the engine block. Any suggestions there as well?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2003, 01:13 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Default Re: Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer (78RedShark)

Oh my goodness. You exist... WOW!!! Where have you been.
Good to see you back.

As for help with your question, I can't help you right now, but when I get home I can get a picture for you.

I did just find this one from a while ago. It was an older belt that has since been replaced, so don't belive everything. I will get a picture as soon as I get home

http://album.chrisandtennille.com/Ho...an_19_2002/abd (Click on the image to get a really big version)

Also as for the power steering pump bracket. Is the part that is attached to the block (near the motor mount) between the motor mount and the block, or between the bolt head and the motor mount.

Mine was between the motor mount and block, and it made made the 2 bolts that go into the front of the block way off. I moved it to between the bolt head and the motor mount and it was much better. (It even lined up my power steering pully better)

If you need any help let me know.

chris.

[Modified by PyjamaSam, 1:15 PM 7/30/2003]
Old 07-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer (78RedShark)

My camero does it some times and it's a good idea to carry an extra belt incase the one gets shreaded. The problem the camero devloped was a little bit of rust on pulley. The rust acts a latter and the belt will climb out on it.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:17 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer (PyjamaSam)

Thanks Sam...yes, long time no talk! I will keep in touch and let you know how things go... :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer

Quick Reply: Alternator pulley, drivebelts, and a lot of beer