C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn the key and.... nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:36 AM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turn the key and.... nothing.

There is no solenoid click or anything. The ground is hooked up to the starter, the clutch switch is hooked up, the radio, lights, and wipers work. The starter worked in September, and all I did was remove it, store it, and re-install.

I know it could be the fusable link (don't know where that is), the battery (at least it clicks the solenoid on my van), the starter wiring (2 red and battery to large post and clutch switch to S terminal), or starter solenoid.

How can I test the starter solenoid?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 AM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turn the key and.... nothing. (rexx78)

Hey, Just a wild guess here but mine does it all the time.Maybe it's the Steering Wheel,try turning the wheel different directions and starting it.My Wheel does'nt lock when I take the the key out so it does'nt start again until I find that lucky spot where it will start. I could be way off here but give it a try.After rereading Your post,take the starter out and take it to a local part's store they should be able to test it for You
Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 AM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turn the key and.... nothing. (SLO RDE)

Hmmm, interesting. My steering wheel is still in the basement, maybe that's the first thing I will do this evening, install it.

I thought I would have to take the starter out and get it tested. :cry Hopefully I can get it done at lunch time. It shouldn't take more than half an hour to remove the starter should it? :D :cheers:

By the way, where is the fusable link? If it was blown, there would be no power at all correct?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Check also for your ground cable off of the battery where it attaches to the frame beneath the battery compartment. I've changed two of these out of my four cars. Because of the exposure to salt, road grime, water, etc., this cable can swell with green looking corrosion. Everything can work, but if this connection is "dirty", enough current to turn the starter may not be able to pass through it.

Another trick: Turn your headlights ON and have someone in the car try to turn the starter over while your watching-If the headlights DIM, the starter is getting juice and maybe locked up or solenoid jammed. If the lights DO NOT dim, chances are you're not getting power to the starter.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:09 PM
TotallySmoked
Intermediate

Default Re: Turn the key and.... nothing. (Paul Borowski)

Coil?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:40 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turn the key and.... nothing. (Paul Borowski)

I know the main ground is clean, maybe I will replace the star washer just to make sure.

Doesn't the engine have to be started to provide enough vacuum to raise the headlights? It should work the same for the interior lights though? I believe they dim when I turn the key.

Totallysmoked - The coil, plugs, cap and wires are all new.

[Modified by rexx78, 12:41 PM 7/30/2003]
Old 07-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Dude I had this problem intermittently - car has power but turn key and not even a click but my voltmeter drop a few volts.

Rebuilt my starter, new battery, cleaned all my electrical connections real shiny. In the end it was too much resistance in the wire that goes from my clutch switch to the solenoid start terminal. My own stupid fault though, I added a kill switch, aftermarket alarm kill relay and about 20 feet of wire in series with the clutch switch. I removed all that to reduce the reistance in the path. I also found a connector in this electrical path in the engine compartment. It was rusty so I made it shiny. Haven't had any problems since. Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:05 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turn the key and.... nothing. (Boofers)

Funny thing, I just removed Bubba's kill switch that was wired to the coil wire. The clutch switch wasn't even hooked up to the starter. I had to get a new wiring harness. Now a question for you, can you splice into the clutch wires under the dash to install a kill switch?

I removed the starter at lunch, and took it in to be tested. FAIL :smash: The "R" terminal was no good. Oh well, at least now I have a new starter to go with the growing list of new parts.

I hope it starts now. Thanks for all the replies :cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Easy fix, If you headlights come on do the following.

There is a connector on the passenger side of the firewall that connects to the starter. Wiggle it or spray some contactor cleaner in it. Car will start right up. It's a weak link in the C-3 wiring harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn the key and.... nothing.

Quick Reply: Turn the key and.... nothing.