C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpi on a 388

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 AM
dewcustom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpi on a 388

would this be an ok way to go(check link) for a 388 stroker with rpm heads and a hydrolic roller cam or will i have to get an after market ecu to tune it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ADME:B:LC:MT:1
Old 07-30-2003, 10:32 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: tpi on a 388 (dewcustom)

Sounds like an o.k. deal. He mentions for $350 you get the injection manifold, the distributor and a speed density computer. Get more info on the computer to see what type it is and what would be needed to complete the package.

Another place to ask about fuel injection is http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=44 -- scroll all the way down to the fuel injection forum and ask there.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go w/ the TPI. Tuned Port Induction was designed for the 305ci Camaro in the early 80's. GM being being rushed didn't have time to design a new intake for the 350ci so they used the TPI. It is a great FI setup but the runneres are so long it will run out of breath at 5,000rpms. The long runneres provide gobs of torque but also the runneres greatly reduce HP level.

If you are wanting a cruiser and performance is't #1 on you list by all means go for it. Then again if you are looking for peak performance I think you'll be disappointed. I built a 383 for my roommates's '86 C4 coupe. He ran out of money and went back with the TPI setup to atleast driver the car. It ran great up to 5K where it fell on it's face. He saved a little money and purchased a Lingenfelter Super Ram and 58mm TB, and it made a world of difference, he's now shifting at 6,200rpms.

:cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 02:27 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Per Corey - TPI is designed for torque, not max HP. So it does run out of oomph around 5000 rpm. But how often do you spin above 4000?

A standard GM tpi is a bit small for a 383/388 since it was designed for a 305. But with 44mm runners and a bit of porting on the manifold and plenum and a 52mm throttle body, it will generate some huge torque numbers with a 383. Cam selection is important, as always, and a speed density system will require a custom chip.

By the time you do all this, you will have a considerable amount of $ invested above your purchase price. You may be better off with an aftermarket programmable system from Accel, Holley or Edelbrock.

Get notified of new replies

To tpi on a 388

Quick Reply: tpi on a 388