C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear mono spring questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:11 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear mono spring questions

Greetings,
I've searched most of the previous mono spring threads, and learned alot, but still haven't found the solution for my problem. I bought it thru one of the major catalogs (and now know that I over paid! :mad ) but the installation instructions say it is a TRW composite spring manufactured by Muskegon Brake.
Anyway, on to my problem...I bought the longer (8") bolts to be able to adjust the ride height. But the installation instructions clearly diagram the link bolts mounting from the top of the hub carrier (Figure #1) - NOT the middle of the hub carrier, which is where the original bolts mounted. (I could try a crude ASCII diagram, but I'm not sure it would help). So there goes my extra 2" of longer bolt, used up because of the "thickness" of the hub carrier. So my '73 now rides too high in the back, and I just barely got the nuts on the bolts - i.e. no adjustment available.
So, are these instructions completely whacko? Should my link bolts start inside the hub carrier (as they were before I started this project) and not from the top of the hub carrier???

From the postings I read I know there are alot of folks that have been thru this before and I'm hoping they can ease some of my pain!
Thanks,
JohnnyB.
P.S. BTW, does anybody's ride height really match the factory specs? Mine doesn't, and didn't before I swapped out the old spring with this new monospring. But that's another topic...
Old 07-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (johnnybrewmeister)

Mount to the middle. (Inside)

The top is for mounting a swaybar. As for comparisons to stock, I'm not sure. I'm lower than stock, and I have 2" of bolt left to use w/ the 8" bolt!

-Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 06:13 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (Pacin'California)

Yeah, it definately sounds like you have it mounted in the wrong place. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (79VetteMike)

The bolt and upper mount cushion go inside the trailing arm, right where the old one was. The cushion needs to be in that little "bowl" thing when done.

-Justin
Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (johnnybrewmeister)

Here is a picture of a trw mono on a 74.
Ed

[Modified by ED DINAPOLI, 7:51 AM 7/30/2003]
Old 07-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (Tom73)

Yes the directions are wrong. I told them about it but they haven't changed it yet.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:01 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (Van Steel)

big thanks to everybody!
all the responses were consistent and correct - I just switched the bolts around to where they are supposed to be, and the rear-end is already much lower, closer to level with the front, and I have 1.5" of bolt left to do some adjusting.

Thanks again. Someday I hope to give as much as I get out of this very cool forum.

John.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Default Re: rear mono spring questions (Van Steel)

Re-mounted the spring properly this time, and have things mostly adjusted. The rear Right side is still higher than the left, and I've got only ~3/4" left to adjust, while the Left side has almost 2" of bolt sticking out. Should I be worried that they're not equal? I measured the spring before installing to make sure the mounting bolts/plates/pads were centered.

Get notified of new replies

To rear mono spring questions

Quick Reply: rear mono spring questions