C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP!

Old 07-29-2003, 08:49 PM
marcus.md
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP!

hey everyone out there... i need a little help. i purchased a '76 L-82 4spd stingray in 11/02, and i've been replacing a few parts as the checkbook allows. currently my clutch is out. I just ordered a borgwarner clutch online, to be shipped to me. How difficult would this exchange be? do i need to hire a corvette specialty shop for this, or would my regular trusted mechanic be able to do the trick? could i do it myself witht he help of a more experienced friend?

ok.... onto something else. so, i've got a 4spd and i hit 4th gear around 30 mph. i do my fair share of hwy driving.... what can i do to fix this? i'd like to drop a 6spd in it, and eventually trade out the engine for a more powerful one, but for now... i'm just concerned about a tranny. If you have any insight on my situation, please email me @ marcus.md@mail.utexas.edu
Thanks!
Marcus Minchew
Old 07-29-2003, 10:36 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP! (marcus.md)

hey everyone out there... i need a little help. i purchased a '76 L-82 4spd stingray in 11/02, and i've been replacing a few parts as the checkbook allows. currently my clutch is out. I just ordered a borgwarner clutch online, to be shipped to me. How difficult would this exchange be? do i need to hire a corvette specialty shop for this, or would my regular trusted mechanic be able to do the trick? could i do it myself witht he help of a more experienced friend?

ok.... onto something else. so, i've got a 4spd and i hit 4th gear around 30 mph. i do my fair share of hwy driving.... what can i do to fix this? i'd like to drop a 6spd in it, and eventually trade out the engine for a more powerful one, but for now... i'm just concerned about a tranny. If you have any insight on my situation, please email me @ marcus.md@mail.utexas.edu
Thanks!
Marcus Minchew
1. Welcome!
2. Do it yourself with some help from a friend. You'll save money, learn something, and have some broken knuckle fun.
3. 4th at 30? You can either drive more agressively and hold out longer between gears and make tha tpuppy scream. Or, you could see what rear gears you have and go with something a little lower ratio but would loose a little bottom end, or drop in a 5 or 6 speed overdrive.

2 and 3 depend on time, budget, friends, tools, and desire.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:19 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I agree with 78Vette-SA. Have a friend help you change the clutch. It's really pretty simple. If you don't feel up to it any competent mechanic can handle it.

What rpm are you shifting at? What rpm are you running at in 4th gear at 60 mph? I'm running about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. That's about normal for 3.70 to 1 rear gears. I wouldn't worry about the transmission, it can handle the rpm.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:37 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with getting a friend to help, just make sure one of you knows what they are doing, or have very good instrctions. I rember taking my honda to the shop for a new clutch, it wasnt simple for them, it was somewhere between 6 and 8 hours of labor, and i know it was straight work, my dad stopped by everyonce in a while getting to see my engine hanging from various devices each time.

MAtt
Old 07-30-2003, 09:12 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's important to understand the transmission in your car is not an overdrive unit. The gear ratio in 4th is 1:1. So at freeway speeds your rpm is going to be well over 3000 rpm. At the time, this was considered acceptable. But it can be discomforting to those used to driving contemporary vehicles.

You're on the right track with a 6-speed. But you may also want to consider the Keisler 5-speed conversion. (All you need is 4 regular gears + 1 overdrive gear.) It's basically a plug-n-play unit. If you can replace the clutch, you can likely install this transmission yourself :yesnod:
Old 07-30-2003, 10:16 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP!

Clutches aren't that hard to swap. Get a buddy, some beer, a Chiltons/Haynes, and reserve half a saturday.

You're shifting way too early. I also have a 76 L82 4spd, and I typically don't go into 4th until 45-50 mph. At 30 mph in 4th, you're going to be turning over 1500 rpms (roughly), and I don't know about you, but at that engine speed I can still feel the cam chugging/loping.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:24 PM
bankbadhabits
Advanced

Default Re: new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP! (wcsinx)

Do the swap yourself. No one cares for your car and will be as particular as you. I put a new dual friction clutch in my wife's '76 last year just by myself. I thought the shift linkage was the biggest pain. Good Luck. :chevy
Old 07-31-2003, 04:06 PM
marcus.md
Navigator

wow, thanks for the overwhelming responses. You guys have helped me a lot, and i appreciate it to no end. I'll be grabbin' some beers & my buddy, and reservin' the saturday for a day of learning & fun. I can't wait to get my baby back on the road again. once again, thanks so much!
Marcus

Get notified of new replies

To new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new '76 L-82 4spd owner NEEDS SOME HELP!