C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine paint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 08:47 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine paint question

Does anyone know of a Chevy orange high temperature paint that comes in a can so you can brush it on? I do not want to use the spray type unless I have no other choice. Any advise will be appreciated. WARNING!!!! This is the first on many questions and I hope I don't become a big pita to you all. Got this car ( 1972 ) a few weeks ago, very much original, sat for years, and now I am trying to make her as good as new. She goes to the paint shop September 28 for many coats of Bryar Blue. I can't wait. Trying to detail what I can until I take her to get painted.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:00 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Engine paint question (fastfun)

Very good ?? I would like to find some Chevy blue for my 77. It's a pita to try and spray in some places and not get the s--- everywhere. Plus I've found 2 different engine blues, one is corporate blue and the other is chevrolet blue. Which would be the correct color?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used spray and clear when we did the body off, i understand your doing a body on- im not sure but give dave stubb a call-he's into all colors of por-15------ he's a very helpful person- toll free too! i coated every part under my 73----- its brush on or you can spray it too(gotta thin it)-you cant tell the brush on from the spray----- http://www.imperialrestoration.com/ - he's here in illinois but theres dealers all over-hope it helps- hers some photos of how mine turned out----later-carl----- http://www.geocities.com/carlclub2/ -----------------
Old 07-29-2003, 10:10 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, I as well as many others have successfully used Acrylic enamel for the engine paint. It can be brushed or sprayed. I have a Dupont # that matches Chev orange real well. I can get you some if you would like. What shop did you decide on for the paint job? Craig :cheers:
Old 07-29-2003, 10:27 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Engine paint question (DP77Vette)

It's a pita to try and spray in some places and not get the s--- everywhere.
:iagree:

Old 07-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Why not just spray sufficient quantity into a container, allow it to thicken slightly, then brush it on?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:58 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Default Re: Engine paint question (CF6873)

Thanks for all the replys, they helped me a great deal.
Craig, I decided on Garys Custom Painting in Johnstown. He did my 1975 10 years ago and that paint was extreemly nice. He gave me a great price also. Craig, if you wouldn't mind, could you please pick me up a quart of that paint you have recommended for the engine. Just give me a call when it comes in or drop it off at one of your stores with my name on it. Tell them to hold it for me and I will pick it up.
Thanks, Bob
:cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Default Re: Engine paint question (Big Fish)

Why not just spray sufficient quantity into a container, allow it to thicken slightly, then brush it on?
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Engine paint question

Quick Reply: Engine paint question